Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help finding a defrag software

• Please log in to reply

dudec66

dudec66

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hello,

Which software I should use to defrag my system, there are many and I am really confused. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello dudec66 and welcome to geeks to go!

Windows XP comes with a defragmenter already installed (Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defragmenter). It does the job rather nicely for me. Are you looking to buy a professional defragmenter?

Here are some links to other defraggers, free and otherwise:
Diskeeper Lite, Freeware, All Windows versions, 12.1MB
http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=1207

Auslogics Disk Defrag Freeware, Windows XP and later, 1.5MB
http://www.auslogics...efrag/index.php

IObit Smart Defrag Freeware, Windows 2000 and later, 1.8MB
http://www.iobit.com...frag/index.html

JkDefrag Free GNU License, Windows 2000 and later + Win X64, 293KB
http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

PerfectDisk Shareware $39.95, 30 day trial, Windows 2000 and later, 18.1MB
http://www.raxco.com.../perfectdisk2k/

Regards,

Ax

dudec66

dudec66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply, I just found a great blog on defrag http://donnedwards.o...ootout-all.html

I am checking out all the thumbs up apps, lets see which one finally becomes my defrag tool.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Sounds good, let us know if you need any more help.

dudec66

dudec66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello again,

Among all Puran Defrag seems most attractive as its the cheapest and has got very good reviews, I haven't tried it yet. If anyone's there who is using it for long time and can tell me if its worth the money or not, please reply.

Or if simply someone's intrested in testing it so that we can share our views.

Thanks

arborman

arborman

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I use Diskeeper and I am happy with it. It does a great job on both my Vista and XP pro equipped machines - fast, safe (quite important for me), stable and has multiple defrag modes that can be used for each drive. The 2008 version also has VSS compatibility defrag mode for Vista so that shadow copies are preserved. There are also free trial versions at the Diskeeper site, so you can check it out free for 30 days.

dudec66

dudec66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply. Did you check out the blog I reffered above, Diskeeper reviews are not at all good but I'll give it a try anyways.

In the mean time, I gave a try to Puran Defrag and it seems great. I actually feel my system running much more smoothly now. It was very quick and its auto shutdown feature added more value to this gem. Also now I have left it to its auto mode as specified in its help file, it also works great by defragging my entire disk on every startup without interrupting in my work in anyway, I dont even come to know the defrag is on. I might buy this one soon after some more testing.

arborman

arborman

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks for the reply. Did you check out the blog I reffered above, Diskeeper reviews are not at all good but I'll give it a try anyways.

I just glanced at it; didn't read through the entire blog, and I don't think I have the time to. :)
I ran the trial versions of the more popular defraggers sometime ago, and settled on Diskeeper. It works nicely for my needs, and as mentioned before, is fast, stable, unintrusive and most importantly- safe. Other people may have different opinions, and they are welcome to those, but I'd rather go with my personal experience :)

dudec66

dudec66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello again, I just bought Puran Defrag and am very happy with it, it really improved my system speed and is extremely easy to use. I did gave a try to diskeeper but was not completely satisfied with performance improvement.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I do not know how many times I have recommend JkDefrag, it's in my signature. I don't understand why anybody would pay for a defrag program when this one is free and so good :) As a small, non-installable program, it has pulled many a sad-looking hard disk into top shape for me and my mates.

That being said, though, if the program you have purchased does the job well, then I guess you're happy. Please, can you tell us what features you like about it? What things could be improved? I'm interested...

dudec66

dudec66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well its simple, very fast, automatic, has got a great full disk boot time defrag and its system optimization improved my system speed a lot.

Among all above I liked automatic defrag the most, just set it n forget it type. Its so good that I dont even come to know if defrag is going on or not, I even tried copying data while defrag was on, things were unbelievably fine.

Now I have automatic defrag active on my system and it looks like I would never have to think about defrag again.

Moreover currently its on promotional offer so I took the full advantage.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sounds good! Thanks for letting me know :)