Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Same Problem as guy previous, CDRW not detected

• Please log in to reply

WorksopStag

WorksopStag

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My cousin pressed reset while the computer had appeared to crash. When I restarted it, it took ages for windows to boot, when it does boot cdrw is not detetcted.

On startup it says:

Primary Master : Maxtor 4R080J0
Primary Slave : (None)
Secondary Master : (None)
Secondary Slave : (None)

People suggested i take out the leads to the drive and put them back in, that didn't work, i took out the battery and replaced it that didn't work, i deleted the upper and lowerfilters from the registry files that didn't work. I'm not too skilled and dont want to touch much in case i make it worse.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

lnchewitt

lnchewitt

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This sounds like your CPU is not even detecting it in CMOS. Go into CMOS and see if you can do an auto detect on the CDRW. Also, does the CDRW power up and spool up (can't think of a better way to say it)?

WorksopStag

WorksopStag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
There is power to it, Ive been in CMOS and i cant find it or detect it.

Do you think it would help if i tried a new CDRW drive, or do you think there something wrong with the CPU or IDE cables??

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

There is power to it, Ive been in CMOS and i cant find it or detect it.

View Post

Do you mean that you've tried the auto-detect option & the bios found nothing?

If so, then I would check the IDE cable first - check for a secure connection at both ends of the cable (I assume that if this has happened all of a sudden & no one has fiddled with the cable beforehand, then the cable must be connected the right way round, otherwise it wouldn't have worked to start with).

If thats all OK, then check the power connection to the drive & make sure the plastic jumper on the rear of the drive is still in place.

Next, try a different IDE cable.

You could also check that the secondary controller (assuming the CDROM is on the secondary not the primary) hasn't somehow been disabled in the bios.

WorksopStag

WorksopStag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I took out the cdrw drive and tried a friends spare one and that worked fine. So the drive is broke basically, all sorted now, thankx!