Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP 9 mins to shut down - is this normal

• Please log in to reply

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hooray back on the big screen and the good news is it worked through chkdisk and rebooted with out throwing up any dire messages of disk collapse or nuclear fallout

Happyrck, your comment on the two outdated drivers was a bit out, see below the print out from the program you sent me to. – Thirteen drivers – shoul keep me going for the next 5 minutes.
Also tried Everest and the ram, cane up correctly as 1GB but still don’t understand the problems of the hard disk with BIOS and its slow speed - will run pitstop again when I have done the drivers
Rgds rusty

Driver Agent Scan Results

Print

Good Drivers (67%)
Bad Drivers (33%)

Driver Agent has determined that your computer is missing significant driver updates.
HP DeskJet 930C/932C/935C
Conexant 2388x Audio Capture
Conexant 2388x Video Capture (PAL/DVB-T)
Realtek High Definition Audio
Intel® 82801GH (ICH7DH) LPC Interface Controller - 27B0
USB Composite Device
Controller - 27CB
Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8

Advertisements

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Opps – cash problem,thet want 30$ - Any help where to get the following drivers ?
and are they realy required or is it a con
1) Intel® 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0
2) Intel® PRO/1000 PM Network Connection #2
3) 802.11g PCI Turbo Wireless Adapter
4) Intel® 82801GH (ICH7DH) LPC Interface Controller
5) Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
6) Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
7) Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
8) Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
The other hardware ones I can try ther web sights

Windows XP updates suggest the following

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416
Root Certificates Update
Update for Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0 Service Pack 1 (KB934268
Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows XP (KB925876
Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86 (KB909520

Again I had ignored these in the past as I didn’t think they where needed – your comments / views would be appreciated

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
You can go straight to the manufacturer's website (Download Software, Drivers and Utilities) for those drivers. You can get a chipset identification utility to let you know which chipset you need. I wouldn't pay $30 to a place where at times you don't even get the right/most up-to-date drivers.

As for the updates, I would at least do all the ones that are set as high priority/critical.

Try to work through all of the tune-up tips given to you by PC Pitstop, at least the ones you can comfortably do on your own. After that, run it again and we can help you with anything else.

Regards,

Ax

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this one is probably the culprit causing your slowdown...Intel® 82801GH (ICH7DH) LPC Interface Controller - 27B0
like ax238 said...go to the manufactures website and get all your drivers while your there...the southbridge chipset driver I would do first...when I gave you the link to that site I also included this..

have them scan for outdated drivers...just record what they say are outdated so we can locate them for you...

don't ever pay for drivers...
did you look at windows update for hardware updates like I asked...see my attachment

Edited by happyrck, 14 December 2007 - 07:50 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
use everest...see the attachments ...everest includes links to Intel to get drivers....

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Happy, I have been checking in every half hour to see when you get out of bed

Thanks for the new reply
All my critical Windows are up to date some of the optional ones I have left out as I don’t think I need them. I will now try and update the Intel one

Another problem thrown up by Pitstop is my hard drive, its working in PIO mode and I can not change it in Device Manager – Transfer Mode = DMA if available / Current transfer Mode = PIO .tried windows help and didn’t get far – Checked BIOS and DMA is enabled

Now off to Mr Intel
Rgds rusy

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Sorry back again – the dive down load from the "out of date drivers" shows the below

1) Intel® 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0
2) Intel® PRO/1000 PM Network Connection #2
3) 802.11g PCI Turbo Wireless Adapter
4) Intel® 82801GH (ICH7DH) LPC Interface Controller
5) Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
6) Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
7) Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
8) Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9

Going on the Intel web sight and useing there find & check program I get
Intel® Chipset Identification Utility - System Information
Chipset Detected Chipset: Intel® 945 Express Chipset family
Chipset Components
Memory Controller: 82945P/PL
I/O Controller: Intel® 82801GH I/O controller hub (ICH7DH) SATA Controller found in IDE mode

Following on from the Intel 945 link I get
Driver Downloads
Chipset Hardware Graphics Driver Intel® Chipset Intel® Matrix Storage
SoftwareInstallation Manager
Intel® 945G Express Chipset Download Download Download 1
Intel® 945GC Express Chipset Download Download **
Intel® 945GT Express Chipset Download Download Download 1
Intel® 945GZ Express Chipset Download Download Download 1
Intel® 945P Express Chipset ** Download Download 1
Intel® 945PL Express Chipset ** Download Download 1

What if any do I go for – tried putting 82801GH (ICH7DH) in the Intel search box with no results
nd ther is no link on te above page

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
AX - help please

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Sorry, haha, sometimes get caught up in other things. I would go with this one:
Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 3, 900 Series Chipsets

Let us know if you need help.

Ax

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm up and going at 5 to 5.30 AM my time...but I work on computers for a living and paying clients come first...

I repeat...BACKUP ANYTHING YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT

swap out the IDE cable for a known working one...40 pin 80 wire...a bad cable can cause the drive to get errors causing the drive to drop to PIO mode...

For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.

Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving more than six CRC errors. Whenever possible, the operating system will step down one UDMA mode at a time (from UDMA mode 4 to UDMA mode 3, and so on).

If the mini-IDE driver for the device does not support stepping down transfer modes, or if the device is running UDMA mode 0, Windows XP will step down to PIO mode after encountering six or more CRC errors. In this case, a system reboot should restore the original DMA mode settings.

All CRC and timeout errors are logged in the system event log. These types of errors could be caused by improper mounting or improper cabling (for example, 40-pin instead of 80-wire cable). Or such errors could indicate imminent hardware failure, for example, in a hard drive or chipset.

To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager

1.Open Device Manager.

2.Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

3.Right-click the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

4.In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."
If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings. That is:

Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.

Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available.

Advertisements

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Ax & Happy - Up at 5, [bleep] I don’t go for a pee until 9,
retire and join the old stooges and spend your time pestering the workers

On a more serious note and the DMA. I had already tried your suggestion earlier with no success
so went next door to the hardware room and asked there. Was told to go in via “administrative tools,
delete driver and reboot. It worked and the hard drive is now shown as ultra DMA.

AX, followed your post to Intel and down loaded said driver, loaded and rebooted.
Computer still working but on checking device manager it has the driver as 23/05/2005 version 7.0.0.1020,
I can not remember but I think the new driver was a 2007 one.

Will just disappear and try pitstop again –
Please don’t go far away guys the light is just appearing at the end of the tunnel – hope its not an Amtrack

Rgds rusty

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Please don’t go far away guys the light is just appearing at the end of the tunnel – hope its not an Amtrack

not to worry ...they won't be on time anyway... :)

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Happyrck & Ax
Thanks for all your help guys – I think the main problem had been the hard drive stuck in PIO as shown in Pitstop,
I also updated the intel drivers . Computer is now working great, very fast and shutting down in under a minute
Thanks again guys - Rusty

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome.... :)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts