Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creative speakers producing static

• Please log in to reply

Adrian04

Adrian04

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi guys,
I have a Creative Inspire 5.1 5200 system with a SB Live Audio B800 soundcard. A while ago I finally set it up properly so I have all 5 channels working properly, including speech out of centre, by messing around with the settings. Now I don't know if my hearing is getting ruined from loud music or not I swear it sometimes just changes levels by itself. Not only that I don't think it's loud as it used to be, I now have to turn it up to at least 4 when I used to have it around 2-3. This is most annoying when I watch movies and I have to turn it right up, but then I get a lot of static in the background. I never recalled having so much static in the system.

Please help, thanks.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Speakers are only really designed to run at half volume, once you exceed this, the quality worsens (crackling, sound not as sharp, popping are among the many signs) and in the case of lower quality speakers, they can tend to degrade.
It might be time to buy new speakers. If you tend to listen to music/movies rather loud, I suggest buying a set of speakers with a higher rated wattage. By doing so you'll get the best of both worlds, loud and quality sound.

As for music changing the volume by itself, some songs are actually recorded at lower/higher volumes. At one point I used a equalizer to fix this issues, when I digitalizing my CD collection (it created a equal volume among all songs, so you didn't need to constantly adjust the volume of your speakers), but that was 2 or 3 years ago and cannot think of the name nor produce any results on google at this time.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 December 2007 - 12:02 AM.