Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winlogon.exe corrupt file

• Please log in to reply

dlmgg

dlmgg

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi,

I just transferred over files and settings using a cd and the windows transfer utility located on my old XP home machine to my new Vista ultimate laptop. Now, when I try to login, I get a window that says winlogon.exe corrupt file. The file or directory c:\windows\cursors is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility. Well the utility didn't help. I hit ok several times and it lets me in and I can run fine otherwise. Can you please tell me how to fix this?

Thanks,
Dawn

Advertisements

deathninja

deathninja

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Well you could go back to a restore point... and then transfer data without using that garbage utility.

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks but I would rather not lose what already have on here.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Dawn,

Try opening the command prompt (Start | Run, type cmd, and press Enter. Next, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter. You'll probably have to restart your computer.

Also, did you migrate your files and settings by following this article (or similar instructions)?
Windows Vista Migration Step-by-Step Guide

Regards,

Ax

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the response. I had done chkdsk but it didn't work. Unfortunately, something else went wrong along with it and I had to do a restore as I couldn't boot. I will follow the link you sent when I'm ready to bring over the files.

Thanks again for your help!

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
OK, you're welcome, let me know how it goes.