Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having problems getting OS to start on newly built PC

• Please log in to reply

bc022372

bc022372

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there. First time builder here and I'm having trouble diagnosing/troubleshooting an issue with my new build. My system boots properly but is crashing whenever it starts running Windows. At first I thought it might be because I'm using the hard drive from my old system (which I've read on this board is a bad idea and I can't really disagree) so I've tried booting from Vista Installation DVD to re-install Vista on some new drives I have. However, even when I do that, the system crashes at the exact same part after all the files are loaded from the DVD into memory. More exactly, as soon as that progress indicator for Vista startup appears on the intro screen, a blue screen flashes on the screen and then quickly fades to black before I've even get a chance to read what the error message was.

My newbie hunch is that there is a problem with the memory or how its setup. The Corsair memory lists the timings as 5-5-5-12. Initially, the mobo was Auto-setting the timings to something different so I changed the timings (and only those four values) to what I've listed above. However, that hasn't gotten me any better results.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on? Would appreciate the help.

CPU: Q6600 (G0 stepping)
CPU cooler: Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 100
Mobo: Abit IN9-32Max
Memory: Corsair TwinX PC6400 1GBx2=2GB
Video: ASUS 8800GT 512MB
Sound Card: X-Fi XtremeMusic
Power Supply: Apevia Iceberg 680W
Case: Antec P182

Edited by bc022372, 13 December 2007 - 01:27 PM.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Are you using two 1G sticks of RAM or 1 2G stick? If you're using two, then remove one of them and try booting it on one stick. If that doesn't work, then try the same thing with the other. You could have a bad stick. It could also be a faulty PSU, but there's lots of other things to try before you get to that.

bc022372

bc022372

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm using 2 sticks of 1GB and have updated my specs to reflect that. I'll try your suggestion when I get home this evening.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Have you upped the voltage for your sticks? Usually the motherboard will default voltage to 1.8V when the sticks are rated at 2.0V or 2.1V, if you've changed the timings this may be causing issues as it's not getting enough power.

bc022372

bc022372

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No...I didn't increase the voltage because I didn't know that was something I needed to do. I'll see if I can find the voltage specs for this memory stick.

Thanks for the suggestion. Please keep them coming.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You should be able to find the required voltage on each stick. My GeIL RAM has a little sticker on it that tells me exactly what my RAM is and at what voltages it needs to run.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Another thing I would suggest since you obviously have access to a computer right now is to download memtest from here:

http://www.memtest.org/

and follow the instructions. If neither or the previous suggestions work, then memtest will tell you if the problem is related to your memory. If the memory proves to not be the problem, then we can move on to other components.

bc022372

bc022372

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks...I'll look for that. I remember seeing my timings on stick so I'm sure the voltage isn't too far from that.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You should check the voltages first, as running memtest with insufficient voltage will most probably give you errors, but upping the voltage will fix this.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I agree, check the voltages first, but it won't hurt to download the program while you have access to a computer since you obviously won't be able to download it from home until this issue is resolved.

Advertisements

bc022372

bc022372

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
memtest? Is that a program? What does it do?

I actually have two laptops at home so I'm still good download-wise while my system is under the scapel.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Memtest is a program designed to test your RAM that runs independant of the OS. In other words, you could disconnect your harddrive altogether and still boot memtest from a floppy or CD. It is generally accepted as the best memory testing software available.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

bc022372

bc022372

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sweet! I'll gladly try that out too.

bc022372

bc022372

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok. Here's the results of my work tonight so far.

1. I updated the voltage in the mobo. The mobo had picked a voltage of 1.8V while the memory stick required 1.9V. I updated the voltage to 1.9V and didn't have any success starting windows.

2. I downloaded memtest and have been running it for about an hour now. 2 passes have taken place and no errors have been discovered so far.

The other suggestion mentioned was to try booting with just a single stick. I haven't tried that yet but wonder if its still necessary since the checks (so far) have come up good.

I'm willing to run Memtest overnight on the memory. I'm just wondering if there are any other suggestions I can try in the meantime tonight.