Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Work Computer Spec

• Please log in to reply

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,813 posts
I am speccing out a build to replace my old AMD workstation and I'd like some feedback on what you guys think. I'm trying to stay below $800.

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5
Motherboard: ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2 6400
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB
Video Card: ASUS EN7200GS/HTD/256M GeForce 7200GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX ATX12V V2.2 450W Power Supply
CPU Fan: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
DVD: Pioneer Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner

Am I missing anything?

Updated: MB & CPU Thanks, kidnova.
Updated: Hard Drive (Out of Stock), DVD and changed CPU fan to cheaper fan- troy
Updated: Updated Ram to 2gig sticks thanks james

Total Cost: $789.91

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 17 December 2007 - 10:31 PM.

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Well, you're going to want to go with a P35 motherboard instead of the one you've chosen. It will support Intel's newer processors and have a higher FSB.

You'd also bet better off with this processor to go with your P35 motherboard:

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

Three comments:

1) You're missing a DVD drive in that build.
2) That motherboard is good, but rather expensive. There are many cheaper options that will give similar performance. This option is cheaper and has a decent rebate.
3) For your video card, I get the impression that you really don't care, just so long as it isn't "onboard". Why not at least stick with a cheap DX10 card?

EDIT: and more comments :)

4) That power supply looks reasonable (good quality), but I would look for something with a little more headroom, just to be sure. 450W isn't very much these days. I have this beast and recommend it, if you grab it quick you can save $$$$ with the rebate!

5) I think you should use some Arctic Silver 5 with that CPU heatsink/fan.

Edited by troy, 13 December 2007 - 04:00 PM.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,813 posts
troy, thanks for the suggestions.

1) Your right, thanks for that.
2) The reason I went with this board is because it has six USB ports and built in wifi for not much more.
3) I'm trying to stick with NVIDIA for the Linux support, I'm still not convinced that ATI has good Linux support.
4) I have no need for that much power :)
5) I've already got that covered

Thanks again.

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
ATI does not have good Linux support trust me I had a pain installing drivers while my nVidia system was so easy to install. I also recommend the PSU that try suggested cause in the future you don't wanna be throwing out the other PSU for a new and better one just get a good one now and don't worry about the future.

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I recommend Arctic Cooling MX-2 over AS5. There are a number of reasons why, ranging from it being easier to apply, cheaper (half the price), none conductive and preforms slightly better then AS5 in most reviews.

I thought ATI vastly improved Linux support in September, though I could be wrong.

I also recommend to buy two sticks of 2GB RAM, 4 sticks doesn't always run as well with motherboards.