Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is Firefox as safe as IE?

• Please log in to reply

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
I have Vista and IE 7. IS Firefox as fast and safe? (yes im new to this). Could you people give some more info about the differences between the 2? I read about it on Wikipedia but I want someone who has Firefox and IE's opinion of the 2.

Thanks! :)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might read over this topic.

Ron

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I'm a Firefox (FF) tried and tested fan, too. Just to add a little more -

As for speed, you probably know that the addons and themes might slow down the load time, but if you install the addon 'minimise to tray' and then minimise FF to the tray, each subsequent session of FF (by clicking the icon) will speed it up even quicker than IE. You'll notice that the FF is resident in your system tray until you reboot.

I understand that the developers are looking at putting an option for the FF icon to run at boot time in the system tray. IE is loaded by default through Windows - one day, FF will too.

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
That would be awesome if FF overrules IE. haha... Practically aready does now.

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Aye! I've never been a fan of IE. Actually - I can't even remember the last time I used it!

I'm surprised with Netscape, though. It's almost identical to FF these days.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I'm surprised with Netscape, though. It's almost identical to FF these days.

Both are based on the Gecko engine so should be very similar.

Ron

Browser Comparisons

jacobt

jacobt

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

I'm a Firefox (FF) tried and tested fan, too. Just to add a little more -

As for speed, you probably know that the addons and themes might slow down the load time, but if you install the addon 'minimise to tray' and then minimise FF to the tray, each subsequent session of FF (by clicking the icon) will speed it up even quicker than IE. You'll notice that the FF is resident in your system tray until you reboot.

I understand that the developers are looking at putting an option for the FF icon to run at boot time in the system tray. IE is loaded by default through Windows - one day, FF will too.

SeaMonkey has this feature already, too. It loads up super quick.

M477h3w700142y

M477h3w700142y

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

That would be awesome if FF overrules IE. haha... Practically aready does now.

FF overrule all of the browsers IMHO. I've tried the AOL browser (when I was on AOL) Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, and Avant, AT&T Yahoo (since I'm now with AT&T DSL) and my most favorite is Firefox.

I suggest downloading Firefox.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I am going to be the odd man out and say that I do not like fire fox. This is not based on performens issues but my personal preferance only. Fire fox used to be better and safer than IE but that is no longer true with IE7. If you have to tweak fire fox to make it as good as IE7.......besides all this it is realy up to what YOU wish to use.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Symantec Says There's No Safe Browser
By Ed Oswald, BetaNews
September 25, 2006, 4:47 PM

Whether you are using Firefox or Internet Explorer, Maxthon or Opera, there is no "safe" browser. This statement comes from Symantec as part of its twice-yearly Internet Security Threat Report, which showed attackers were no longer primarly focusing on Internet Explorer.

Safest Browsers
Symantec: 'There is no safe browser' at infoworld.com

From another source :) :

Firefox is a browser designed from scratch to be secure, fast and customisable. It is the safest browser available, as it doesn’t contain many of the more obvious vulnerabilities that IE has, such as ActiveX components so often used to install spyware on IE-users’ machines. Firefox is still under very active development by a huge community of volunteer coders, many of whom worked at Netscape in its heyday. If a vulnerability is found, it is corrected and an update made available in days, sometimes hours. This means Firefox cannot fall into the same trap that IE did — receiving no updates for years and having its various security holes get exploited by thousands of hackers and virus writers.

Source

I could go on and on, but opinions are like you know what! Choose the browser you like and surf on! Firefox for me.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 29 December 2007 - 09:09 PM.