Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton issue with Linksys G Router

• Please log in to reply

mmccarthy

mmccarthy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a new home computer it came with Vista that is why I am posting this here. When I first set it up the internet was running fine. the system came with a trail version of Norton. I set it up and was able to connect to the internet for about 4 days with the firewall on. The system was turned on and off a few times in those first few days and there was no problem with the internet connection. Then out of the blue today it stopped connecting to the Liknsys G router. When I turned off the firewall I could reconnect to the router. I was hoping you could tell me the correct settings for Norton under Vista connecting out through a Linksys router. Is there a better firewall program out there that might be a little more stright forward to use. I am not that well versed on policy settings for firewalls. I am a level 2 IT tech and some of these policies have me a bit confused. Any help you could give me would be great. I don't like the thought of having to run without a firewall when connecting to the internet. I do know enough to know that is a very bad thng to do. I am going to attach the settings that are in place now on the firewall. Let me know what needs to be changed and why it all of a sudden stopped working.

Thanks again for the help
MMcCarthy

Attached Files

Advertisements

deathninja

deathninja

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Uninstall Norton, the Linksys will be firewall enough.

AVG or Avast will be fine.

Norton 2008 is marginally better but still garbage imho, and definitely not worth hard drive space let alone money.

mmccarthy

mmccarthy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you that is great to hear. I never set up a firewall on the router so I did not know if it ran on its own. That is a very easy fix. I will have to check out AVG. The settings on Norton were very hard to understand.

Thanks for the info
MMcCarthy