Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems with 3D

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Im seem to be having trouble running 3D games lately because every time I try to play one, the first 3 minutes I am playing but then the game freezes and I can still hear audio but the screen is stuck. I have already tested my friends 7600gt and installed his drivers but still, the same thing happens shortly after I enter a game. I was playing the game FEAR and a year ago when I had the same system I got usually around 40 fps with the 7600gt. Now when I get in it gets around 30 and sometimes dips below 15. The strange thing though is with the video stress test, everything runs flawlessly as it did a year ago but then in the game it all goes down the drain and the screen crashes. I have directx 9 all up to date and have the latest drivers for my video card. For some reason I don't think the problem lies with video card or my friends card. I was wondering if someone could walk me through steps I need to take in order to fix this problem. Thank you.

Advertisements

kenichi_kun

kenichi_kun

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Have your overclocked anything? Try going into bios and put everything back to default. My friend also had the same problem as you did, all I had to do for him was replace his power supply. If you have access to a multimeter you can test the +5V and +12V and see if they are maintaining close to or above the rated voltages. My friends pc runs perfectly now. He now has a PC power cooling 1200 watt power supply, no hang ups like you had. The 7600gt should easily be able to handle FEAR. So more than likely its your power supply, then again it might just be that your windows got corrupted. I reinstall Windows every 3 to 6 months for safe measures. So you might want to consider that as well. Good luck!!

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thank you. I think you may be right about my psu going bad. I will check it out and if that doesn't work I will try re-installing windows.