Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XGA, SXGA, UXGA - Which do I have?

• Please log in to reply

Ness

Ness

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
I have a Dell Inspirion 5160 witha 15" LCD display. I need to replace it and started looking for one on eBay. However, they all say either XGA, SXGA, or UXGA. How do I know which one to select and how do I know which one I have?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
What are you replacing? The entire laptop? Or an external monitor connected to the laptop?

Since I'm confused about that, let's talk about XGA, SXGA, and UXGA.

XGA means the monitor has a native resolution of 1024×768, SXGA means the monitor has a native resolution of 1280×1024, and UXGA means the monitor has a native resolution of 1600x1200. The higher resolution, the better the picture looks. However, higher resolutions also require more graphics horsepower to run them, especially in games.

Hopefully that is of some help. If you could clarify what you are trying to do, perhaps I could be of further assistance.

Ness

Ness

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
I'm replacing the LCD screen on my laptop. Small 1-2 pixel lines have begun to appear on the screen (6 at the moment) due to some internal damage.

So there is no difference between all the XGA's except picture quality and price :) I'll get myself a regular XGA. This computer is 3 years old and in no condition to run 1600x1200.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
According to the specs for your laptop, it is capable of running either 1024x768 or 1400x1050 natively. These resolutions are XGA and SXGA+, respectively. Keep in mind that SXGA+ is not the same thing as SXGA. There is also XGA+, which is not the same thing as XGA. So, I would recommend getting a screen which is either XGA or SXGA+, or perhaps both if possible (I don't know if this is possible... I'm not exactly an expert in replacement laptop screens, having never needed one).

Ness

Ness

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
I've found a few on eBay for as low as $55 SGXA+. Not too bad ^^;

Thanks for the input.