Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

deleted history

• Please log in to reply

katg

katg

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I have someone who is deleting the history after they use my computer. Is there somewhere else I can go look to find out what has been viewed on my computer?
Thanks for any help. As you can tell, I know nothing about computers! :)

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Do you mean Internet? Before going on, what browser do you use? Firefox or Internet Explorer?

~Kelvin

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Plus, if you are sharing your computer and you are the admin, then I would either password protect the computer so noone but you uses it or set up an user account with limited privileges for the other user. I never understood why someone would leave their PC open for someone else to use even if it is a family member. :)

Ron

katg

katg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, on the internet. I have Windows Vista and I use Internet Explorer. Since I found out I have put parental controls on and password and all of that, but I'd still like to see what was being looked up on the internet if possible.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
If it is deleted, then it will remain so. There is a way of recovering files but it is ineffective because you're speaking of a browsing history. Sorry, we can't help you out in here, but we can help you to prevent people from using your computer to do stuff you might not want them to only. Follow Major Payne's instructions. It is recommended to do as instructed by him.

~Kelvin

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Quite the contrary, even if browser history has been deleted, you can still view the history of internet activity. That is, if the index.dat files have not been deleted. You can use a utility such as Steven Gould's Index Dat Spy to find and view these obscure files.

Ax

katg

katg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Quite the contrary, even if browser history has been deleted, you can still view the history of internet activity. That is, if the index.dat files have not been deleted. You can use a utility such as Steven Gould's Index Dat Spy to find and view these obscure files.

Ax

Always forget about those pesky index.dat files! They are hard to get rid of, but it can be done. :)

Ron

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) No problem. Indeed they are pesky Major!

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Ax

Always forget about those pesky index.dat files! They are hard to get rid of, but it can be done. :)

Ron

Argh. I forgot about them also. Never encountered them before. Thanks for teaching me this Ax! =D

~Kelvin

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Ax

I did not know this. Thank you for sharing your knowledge as I have learned something new (now if I can only learn to spell!)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
ccleaner gets rid of the index.dat files in about 10 or 15 seconds...
FYI ...WinSpy Index.dat Viewer will be seen as spyware by your tools though...

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts

If I am correct, this is a different program than I have linked.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

If I am correct, this is a different program than I have linked.

I'm not familiar with the one you linked to...thought it was the same...just wanted to point out it may be seen as spyware by the scanners is all...the online scanners even see VNC and anything using VNC or any derivative of it like Tight vnc as spyware...its not its just remote control programs

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Good point to bring up, I've also noticed that with VNC too. Thanks for the information.