Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unzip util missing in home premium upgrade

• Please log in to reply

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Does any one know where I can download the zip util that is sopposed to come with vista?

Advertisements

deathninja

deathninja

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I would forgo that trash altogether.

Winrar will do zips....quicker....as well as rar and other compression extensions.

http://www.rarlab.com/

hfcg

hfcg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I was thinking along those lines, it just urks me that I have to pay for something that MicroSoft was sopposed to include with the $170.00 upgrade

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Vista Home Premium does unzip things for me. What exact type of file are you trying to unzip? Did you right-click and select the option from the context menu?

hfcg

hfcg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I do not get the oprion to unzip ( I always right click instead of double clicking) I can not open any zipped file E.G. hijackthis.zip

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Double click on the compressed file to open the zip folder...then right click on the resulting file (within the compressed folder) and choose "Open" from the context menu. It's all a little more automated in Vista.

hfcg

hfcg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
pop up reads "windows can not open this file to open file windows needs to know what file you want to use to open it.....................

hfcg

hfcg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This is a file association problem. The .zip extention needs to be associated with explorer. when I fixed it I had to go into the registry so I will not post the fix as I do not wish to be responcable for ruining some ones computer because I directed them to edit the registry when they where not experianced

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, all you should have had to do is right click and choose "Properties", under the General tab, click on the "Change" button, use the Browse button to navigate to Windows\explorer.exe, click "Open", then Apply the change.