Welcome Guest to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Feel free to browse the site as a guest. However, you must log in to reply to existing topics or start a new topic of your own, and enjoy all this forum has to offer. Additionally, if you can assist another member by sharing your knowledge, please post a reply! Best of all - Registration and all assistance, is FREE! Learn more about How it Works. Infected? Malware Cleaning Guide. What are you waiting for?
Create an Account Login to Account

HP Photosmart PSC 2410 All In One Problem

• Please log in to reply

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
Hello All:

I recently got ahold of a HP Photosmart PSC 2410 All in One Printer. It has the Printer, Scanner, Copier and Fax capability, which I love, however, the Scanner does not work. If I press the scan button on the console it says

"Scan Options Not Set: Install or run device software on computer Press OK to continue"

If I follow the install instructions properly, I get a Scanner in My Computer that says "HP PSC 2400 Series" But when I right click this and go to properties, it says

Properties for this item not available

When speaking to HP support, I have been told to go to Scanner and Camera Wizard: I do this and it says

Computer cannot detect the scanner or camera Please Make sure the device is on and properly connected

They then tell me to remove all USB devices from device manager - this hapepns and they are redetected - I then try again to detect the scanner (after uninstalling all of the HP software they direct and reinstalling it) Then they tell me to go back into Scanner and Camera Wizard and I get the same error - I get a Scanner device in My Computer, and an error. I also had HP director on the machine, but they also say that I need a patch to make it work with IE7, which I download and it still won't open, so I uninstall again and knock out director, and now I can't get it, and I am not sure how to proceed. The Patch they tekll me to download seems to have a virus, but they told me to shutdown my AV, and then install it, and then when I run it, it says taht there are No devices detected and that I do not need this update.

HP has been giving me a runaround and I can only get support via chat because I am out of warrenty because mom gave me the priinter - I do not know if there is a way to get this to work, but I know that it did when my mom first had it :) There probably is something I am missing, so I am hoping that one of our members or techs can solve this issue :)

Any Help you can give me would be awesome - I love this printer, and I want to use all features :)

Thank You!!

Brian

Advertisement

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,074 posts
Are you using the driver that is on the installation cd or are you downloading a fresh driver. HP, in their downloads site, have a feature that checks the hardware and offers the most updated driver. Try that.

Before you do the installation uninstall every HP program that is related to the printer in Add/Remove programs. Also, disconnect your internet connection and disable your antivirus. Don't forget to enable it latter.

If this doesn't work I suggest that you try the installation on another computer. if it doesn't work there then there is something probably wrong with the printer.

**Brian**

**Brian**

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Are you using the driver that is on the installation cd or are you downloading a fresh driver. HP, in their downloads site, have a feature that checks the hardware and offers the most updated driver. Try that.

Before you do the installation uninstall every HP program that is related to the printer in Add/Remove programs. Also, disconnect your internet connection and disable your antivirus. Don't forget to enable it latter.

If this doesn't work I suggest that you try the installation on another computer. if it doesn't work there then there is something probably wrong with the printer.

The Skeptic:

Thanks for your reply: I have atempted to download drivers from the HP website and have them here, applying all patches, the only problem that I have is because this is an HP Media Center, I am unsure if HP Center is related to the printer or to the machine itself. Mom told me that before she gave me this printer, she tried to install a HP Scanjet G4000 Series printer and I still have that driver installed, however the printer install was a failure, and I have that driver still here, and I cannot remove it.

Is there a way to remove drivers that will not go, similar to using programs in my training as a malware trainee? I will try this again later, but wanted to let you know that a scanjet G4000 driver will not uninstall and leave Add/Remove Programs.

Brian

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,074 posts
The driver is determined by the type of printer and operating system. A printer will have different drivers to different operating systems but the type of computer will not make any difference, unless it's a very old machine. You should choose in the download site the correct operating system that is installed in your computer.

Regarding uninstallation of the old drivers, there are several things that you can do:

1: Remove it from Add/Remove programs in control panel. If it doesn't succeed try again.
2: Uninstall from your list of programs that shows after you click Start > All Programs. Look there for HP and use the uninstall option.
3: You can delete the printer from Printers and Faxes. Go to Start > Settings > Printers and faxes. Right click the printer that you want to remove and click Delete.
4: If still no good try to use the link in my signature, download, install and run Unlocker. Right click HP in Add/Remove programs and choose to remove with Unlocker.

I also recommend that you run CCleaner. Run the Cleaner and Registry several times until nothing is left to be removed. Choose the registry backup option when prompted to so in Registry option.

Disable your antivirus and every other protection program that run in the background. Don't forget to disconnect from the internet (switch off your modem or pull out the communication cable)

**Brian**

**Brian**

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
UPDATE:

As of 23:19 EDT, I have restored full functionality to the HP PSC 2410 Device. What it looks like happened is that my mom put in a new printer driver for a printer that she bought, and had a bear of a time with, then she returned it to the store and bought another. For whatever reason, the old G4000 Driver I pointed out to the tech (The Skeptic) was the problem, and I could NOT remove the driver - So I had to bite the bullet and reformat - seems that there was a USB driver that was stopping full functionality. Once I reformatted, I was able to Do updates, get my AV onboard, and then download IE7, the driver and the patch, and this time, she went right in. :) :)

To set the Scan options, you have to open HP Director and actually set the scan destinations, or the panel will keep telling you to set the scan options - I did that, and tested the scan functions, the fax functions and the copy functions, and she works well. I also set up the 2410's Fax, and rewired my phonelines so that I can fax from my desk :) Sweet!!!!

I am glad I am a stubbon individual sometimes: being relentless sometimes pays off in spades :)

I want to thank you for your help with this problem - you were right - It was that driver as I surmised :)

Now, I will have to start file restore on oddessy, so I can pick up mail and contimue my training - But will continue that tomorrow - I am beat :)

:) :) :)

Brian

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,074 posts
Well done. I am really glad that you accomplished this task.

**Brian**

**Brian**

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Well done. I am really glad that you accomplished this task.

Thanks

The wierd part is that this device is a USB, and I noticed that after doing a format, that the drivers were installing and going further each time. I have never seen a driver fail to uninstall like the G4000 driver -I guess that sometimes USB drivers can be flakey at best. My friend told me that the best thing to do for any driver install is to install them from the web rather then to use the driver install disks. The cool thing is that I realized that some of the information he gave me was also correct, and that after my updates were completed, and the driver and the associated patch were in, that not only was HP Director available, but it was also accessible and available from the system tray :)

I want to thank you for your help on this one - I am a very happy man :)

Brian

Advertisement