Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What I doing wrong... disabling Recycle Bin properties

• Please log in to reply

trodas

trodas

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I got a simple wish on my Win2k SP4. Okay, maybe more wishes, but let's start with this one. I want to disable the properties menu on the Recycle Bin. To do that, one need a (at least in theory) very simple register tweak:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoPropertiesRecycleBin"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
"NoPropertiesRecycleBin"=dword:00000001

That is backed up by many sites on the net, like there: http://www.annoyance...000/t1187882607

And it is even backed up by very own M$ infos: http://technet2.micr...3.mspx?mfr=true

Now imagine my shock that this simply does NOT work for me. Anyone can explain/help me out there?

As for my other wishes, I wished to get rid of the Active Desktop menu and I discover that just using Gpedit.msc one can go to: User settings, Messages templates (?), Desktop and set the Active Desktop disable to Enabled and that it is :)
(the english names are just translated back from Czech win translation, so they can be far from perfect)

However I also wished in the cursed Recycle Bin to get rid of the second useless menu, the one that goes "Create shortcut" ... :) And I did not find anything that can help me.
Buy maybe someone do?

Edited by trodas, 14 December 2007 - 06:03 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I advise you not to interfere with the settings in the Registry. If you get something wrong or delete the wrong item you could stop Windows from working properly, and even having no Windows at all. It is the policy here at Geeks To Go! that members do not encourage others to change anything in the Registry.

Edited by pip22, 15 December 2007 - 03:24 PM.

annabackwards

annabackwards

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Just adding to what pip22 said, if you do go ahead with altering the registry, you should back it up in case something goes wrong.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Well, guys, I shall inform ya - I already hacked the registers a lot and not only registers :)
There is a PLENTY of DLLs in my winblows that aren't in orginal state anymore, including shell32.dll :)

So I consider myself warned that this easily could end up with nonfunctional winblows and then I have finally to reinstall the cursed thing :) Meanwhile - let's hack! ;)

For me, the registers do nothing :)
(yes, they properly added the values, but nothing changed at all)

I looked into the Admin templates in gpedit.msc and true - I can remove properties ONLY from the Documents icon (not anymore on my desktop) or from the MyComputer icon (last thing I want to do), but not from Recycle bin... :)

So maybe it doest not work at all in Win2k, only Win2003 server or XP?

...and of course, the goal is removing from context menu of Recycle bin the choices "Properties" and "Create shortcut" and this reg tweak do only the first one. There are two separator lines too :)

Perhaps time to hack shell32.dll? :) Now, where is my ResHacker? Let's alter something :)

annabackwards

annabackwards

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Good luck!

I wouldn't bother, but have fun :)

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Well, thanks for the Erunt anyway.
It is always wise to make backups :) :)

Now if I just know, how to made what I want :)