Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keep getting IE not responding, and having trouble connecting to the i

• Please log in to reply

Sputniks

Sputniks

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi All,
heres whats happening, (everything is real slow) when I clicked on my favorites or try to maximize the window or close it, it takes over a minute or two before it responds and if I click on it a couple of times my pointer turns into an hour glass and I have to close out windows internet explorer by typing Ctrl + Alt + Delete and when that comes up it says windows internet explorer is not responding so I have to end IE and than relaunch it and start all over again. Even when I was typing this the hour glass came up and I had to end IE and relaunch it and start all over again. Why does IE stop responding so much. I also noticed when I typed Ctrl+Alt+Delete you know the window that comes up so you can end the application how it has those tabs, well I clicked on the tab that sayed performance and it said my CPU usage is 100 percent. I have AVG and it says no viruses. Also now I'm having trouble connecting to the internet, when I click to connect to the internet it takes a long time then a blank page comes up saying can not connect (can not connect to HTTP), so I reboot and try again, and keep rebooting until it finally connects. Any ideas what the problem may be? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Switch off your modem for about 5 minutes, reconnect and see if the situation improves. If not:
2: Use the link below to the malware forum and run all the preliminary steps. Do not post HJT log yet.
3: If you have IE7 go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall IE7. This will roll you back to IE6.
4: If still no good use the link below, download and install winsock for XP.
5: If still no good download and install Firefox. Let us know if it works better.

Sputniks

Sputniks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Skeptic,
I have DSL, how do you switch off your modem? Sorry for asking such a stupid question but I a rookie.
Thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There should be a power switch at the back of the modem. Alternatively, you can just pull out the power cable that goes into the modem.