Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Powering up, but not working.

• Please log in to reply

danny305

danny305

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Right, today i went to pick up my new pc. Got it all home, put it together fine.

As soon as i power it up all i see is the red light (busy light) and nothing has come up on the moniter. I cant do anything. I cant even get into bios! ;(

Help? :) :) :)

Advertisements

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Don't you have a support line? Could be one of a hundred things. Sorry - need more info!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Got it all home, put it together fine.

So you built it yourself? And if it's not working properly, are you sure you put it together fine? :)

If nothing comes up on the screen, I would be looking at a video problem. In particular, double check:

1) The monitor powers on
2) The monitor is connected to the computer's video output (if you have two outputs, try them both)
3) The video card is connected properly to the motherboard. Perhaps even pull it out and install it again, making sure it clips into place properly.
4) The video card may need an extra power cable from the PSU, double check if it needs this and make sure it's installed properly if so.
5) Try changing video card cables
6) Try changing monitors
7) Try changing video cards

You may not be able to do all of these, but the more you can knock off the list the better. The red light you describe (busy) sounds like the hard drive light, you could also try disconnecting the hard drive for now as you won't need it to access BIOS.