Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG 7.5 on Win XP Home

• Please log in to reply

gwtwins

gwtwins

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Well now that I've spent 2 hours downloading and installing AVG 7.5 on my home network of 4 machines I have an issue I hope somebody here can help with :)

3 of the machines on my network run XP Pro w/ SP2 and one runs XP Home w/ SP2. All were running McAfee VirusScan 10 but my subscription recently expired. I didn't feel like being forced into buying a whole new suite from McAfee so I uninstalled it on all machines and even ran the Symantec / Norton removal tool on all machines prior to installing AVG. The AVG install seemed to go off without a hitch except on the XP Home machine. The Windows Security Center does not recognize AVG as being installed. Strange...cuz it did on all 3 XP Pro machines!!! :)

Any ideas as to why and how I can "correctly" fix it? I know I can just check the box and tell Security Center I will monitor it myself but I'm one of those types that wants it to work like the other 3 machines!! :)

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
This problem is quite common among lots of antivirus software, but noone has a fix to it. Though, you may try the steps below:

1.) Restart your computer. Windows Security Suite sometimes takes time to recognize the antivirus software installed.

OR

2.) Uninstall AVG, delete the folder, and reinstall it again.

If the both above don't work, you should just check the box.

I hope it helps you achieve your 'perfection' for your 4 computers. :)

~Kelvin

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you mis-speak, or did you actually run a symantec/ Norton removal tool to get rid of Mcafee?

Your XP home comp may be funky regarding this.
I would uninstall the avg, then run the Mcafee removal tool found HERE.

Then try to reinstall the avg

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Did you mis-speak, or did you actually run a symantec/ Norton removal tool to get rid of Mcafee?

Your XP home comp may be funky regarding this.
I would uninstall the avg, then run the Mcafee removal tool found HERE.

Then try to reinstall the avg

Yes...I did say I ran the Symantec/Norton tool. I really didn't think it would be a huge difference since Symantec and Norton are one in the same now but I did as you suggested. Wierd thing is that it ran even though Norton wasn't installed! I used the Mcafee removal tool and re-installed AVG on all of my machines. It still did not clear up the security center issue on the machine running XP Home. It must be an XP Home issue since on the other three with XP Pro it cleared itself up as soon as AVG was installed. I checked the little box to make it go away!!! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with the Mcafee removal tool.. :)

Now I have another issue that I wonder there's an answer for? I am using the email scanner on all machines. 3 of the machines run Thunderbird as the email client and the wife's machine uses Incredimail. On the TBird machines the result of every incoming email scan are included as attachments on the emails as well as displayed inline but on the Incredimail they are just displayed inline? Any ideas as to how I can make this go away on the TBird machines??? I do have view attachments in line enabled on all of the TBird machines.

Thanks for the help! These forums are awesome!! :)

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Incredimail and Thunderbird is different, so they'd have different ways of scanning files and producing reports on it. Unfortunately, I don't use Incredimail, so I don't know how to do so.

Anyway, no problems. We're always ready to help with whatever we know. Come join in the family! Play games, learn to remove malware so you can join the G2G team, and you'll settle down real quick.

~Kelvin