Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i remove drivers for a peice of hardware i no longer use?

• Please log in to reply

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
alright so i had bought a new sound card recently, i installed drivers for it and my computer crashed.
i found out that the sound card isnt compatible with xp pro and went and returned it, however, the drivers are still on my comp and it keeps giving me errors because it cant find the sound card.
my question is, how do i get rid of these drivers?

Advertisements

prasharry2k5

prasharry2k5

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
right click on my computer icon on your start menu or your desktop and go to properties
then go to the hardware tab and click on device manager
Then search for sound and game controllers and expand it. Then right click and uninstall whatever you want to remove. I think this will do it.

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
but the thing i want to uninstall is not there, i already checked

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
In Device Manager, click on View then Show Hidden Devices, see if it shows up then.

If not, download, install and run RegSeeker. Use it's Registry cleaner to eliminate registry entries to things that no longer exist, see if that resolves the problem. When you use RegSeeker, select only the Green entries as they all point to files on the hard drive that are no longer there. Also, make sure the Backup box is checked so if anything does go wrong (never has for me), you can easily recover.