Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why isn't windows detecting my secondary video card?

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I just installed my new 8800GT into my rig. Previously what I've been doing is running my secondary monitor and TV off of another card in the secondary PCI-E slot. Previously, both of these cards were identical, and driver installation went off without a hitch and detected both cards.

But now when I just installed the new card, with the newest (169.02) drivers from nvidia.com, its not detecting both cards anymore. Can I still use my 7950 in the secondary PCI-E slot? Or have I made a major oversight in buying this card?

Please note I have no intention of using SLI with these two cards. I had intended for the 8800GT to drive the primary gaming monitor and the 7950 to drive the secondary monitor and TV.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at the user manual of the motherboard. Asus specifies how to install two video cards. What I remember is that if you run two cards each is having half the maximum speed (e.g: 2X8 pci-e instead of 1x16pci-e). You might have to set the BIOS to accept the two cards. You may have to use two identical cards. I am not sure about the details but I remember seeing it lately in an Asus manual.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I have gotten this working , here's how I went about it:

The first attempt:
I tried installing the drivers for the second card through the device manager but it didn't work, even when I pointed it at the folder for the 169.02 drivers. Then I read through the documentation for those drivers. I'm pretty sure they don't even support series 7 cards, as you can only get them if you select series 8 cards in the download wizard at nvidia.com.

The second attempt:
Anyway, I had a .rared copy of the 163.71 driver folder (already extracted) that I previously had installed just in case I thought I needed them. So I just pasted that into the nvidia folder on my C drive. Then I pointed the device manager and installed the drivers. And bam installation completed and I restarted.

Distaster:
On boot up I enabled the second monitor and dragged over my little OtaClock (widget). Directly after that windows became a slideshow, running at about 1 FPM (frame per minute). This was very bad.

Damage control:
Safe mode.
Uninstall.
Restart.
Safe mode.
Driver Cleaner.
Restart.

Third attempt:
This time I was at a loss of what to do, so on a whim I used the driver CD that came with the card. Installation went just like it always did in the good ol days, both cards were recognized during installation and after a reboot I'm running both monitors just fine. The device manager looks like it should as well:

Posted Image

Epilogue:
Using the driver CD seems to have worked, but I have no idea why. These drivers did not extract themselves to a folder on my C: drive like all the other ones I have done. So I don't even know what drivers I have installed. The only indication of version on the CD is

Version 76.8
Windows Vista/XP