Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ReactOS

• Please log in to reply

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I like XP and hate Vista, in fact, took Vista back for a refund and went begging to XP, but I trawled around looking for other operating systems which might be based on similar architecture and didn't need a virtual machine to run.

I dual boot XP and Linux, because Linux is free and has a good future, but I've spent all this money on software I can't use if I use only Linux - which is why I have a dual boot between the two.

Anyhow, to cut a short story long, I found an OS in alpha testing called ReactOS which is reported to have the same architecture as XP and is open source. To be honest, I never heard of them til last night. Check it out:

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

Something for the future. What do you think?

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
I've been following ReactOS for a while and they have made a lot of progress over the years. The project itself is usable but is not recommended for production use, at least not yet. The projects aim is to be 100% windows compatible without using any proprietary code. If the guys over there can pull it off, this would be a wonderful accomplishment for the OSS community and so far, they are pulling it off :)

Also, if you are interested in testing reactos, I would recommend trying it out in a virtual machine and not on your system.

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 14 December 2007 - 11:48 PM.

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I agree - I use it through Qemu in Linux Ubuntu as a VM. It's faster than XP as a VM, but I'm surprised with what it can already do. It's strange that I never heard of it til yesterday.

You're right - if they can pull it off and get the backing, it'll be a bright future for us consumers!