Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Card

• Please log in to reply

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Hey everyone. Well, since I have been having problems with my computer I have been thinking about re-doing it.(This Forum has inspired me to do so.) Anyhow, What kind of sound card should I get? i want it to have good quality that works with surround sound systems as I'm going to get a surround soudn system. I want it to be awesome, lol.. Anyone have suggestions/ideas?

Anything is great!

God Bless,
-Nathaniel

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Look here for a full comparison on soundcards.
http://www.pcavtech....mpare/index.htm

Hope it helps you make your choice. I'd recommend Sound Blaster sound cards though. Works very well with a home theater system.

~Kelvin

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Oh wow was that ever a fast reply, lol... Thanks! I will look inso sound blaster as well as the link you provided.

Is there a specific model that's better than otheers?

Edited by mcdanielnc89, 15 December 2007 - 05:05 AM.

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
I'm thinking this will do, lol... http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Also listed on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.co...0/dp/B000IZC0GO

Yup, it's quite good for an average user like us :)

Anyway, the eBay link isn't working for me so I can't help you compare the price, but the price listed on Amazon.com sounds like a pretty great deal.

~Kelvin

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
my self go this route:
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Sound Card

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

my self go this route:
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Sound Card

Exact sane card,,, lol..

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
LOL. Yeah.

Anyway Nathaniel, how's your shopping?

~Kelvin

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
mm i think i have fouins one, lol... The one listed above for 50 dollars, i don't think it's bad.. now jsut for a video and cpu lol....

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Hey, Here's the specs of my pc. I found out hwo todo it, LOOOL. S ocan u tell me if i'm able to supposrd phenom? i realyl like the sound of how it works and is...

Attached Thumbnails

• mobo1.GIF
  • mobo2.GIF

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Now, let's see. If you really are into Photoshop and photo editing, you might consider getting higher RAM. Overall, your CPU should handle programs like Photoshop and GIMP fine, with the RAM upgrade. 1GB is quite sufficient.

~Kelvin

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
AHh, I just ordered a gig of ram a couple days ago, I won't get a new CPU IF my computer runs to the expectations I'd like it to. Just wanting to know IF a AMD Phenom processor would work with my computer, that's tha problem. lol... I don't know how to find out all fo that stuff. Heck This is my first time attempting to fix a computer of my own, lol...

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
You don't need a new CPU. I guess you're meaning a new processor?

Anyway, the Phenom would do good on your computer together with the RAM with it.

~Kelvin

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
yes I am meanin processor, The processor wouddl the the last thing to change if it conttinues to slow things down(which i doubt.)

Thanks for all the help!

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
No problems. I'm glad to help.

Anyway, a tip for you: processor speed and RAM speed affects different conditions.

Example: Multitasking (running anti-virus scan, reading mail, listening to music) will be better if you have a higher GHz processor.

Example 2: RAM affects how fast your computer can write, meaning if you're using Photoshop and editing a picture, and you want to use the Smudge tool on it (let's say this picture is 1200x800), it'll lag on computers with lower RAM.

Example 3: Starting a program quickly requires a powerful processor and a lot of RAM, meaning having a overclocked-4GHz processor but with a 128MB RAM stick, you'll achieve the same results as using a 1.6GHz and 128MB RAM stick would achieve.

~Kelvin