Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AGP and motherboard problem

• Please log in to reply

RainySky

RainySky

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello. I am having a PC with the following specs:
- Pentium 4 1.8GHz
- ASUS P4SGL-MX, integrated with 16MB graphic

So,my motherboard has a AGP 4x slot.But I can't find any AGP4x card now because this kind of card is too old already.I try to search in the internet and I found the important point in Wikipedia:

Some newer cards, like NVIDIA's GeForce 6 series or ATI's Radeon X800 series, only have keys for 1.5 V to prevent them from installing in older mainboards without 1.5 V support. Some of the last modern cards with 3.3 V support were the NVIDIA GeForce FX series and the ATI Radeon 9500/9700/9800(R350) (but not 9600/9800(R360)).

So,does AGP 8x supports motherboard with only 4x slot? Or the most important is to ensure that the AGP 8X card can accept 1.5V signal?

Please help me to clear my doubt.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
http://wiki.answers....n_a_4x_AGP_slot

Look here. It'll answer your query and probably give you more info about AGP slots.

~Kelvin

RainySky

RainySky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay.Thanks for supplying with the information. AGP 8X is compaitable with motherboard which support up to 4x, but have to make sure it is backward compaitable.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Ok. Do make sure what you're doing before even putting the card in, as it will result in your card getting fried if the voltage is too high/not suitable.

Be sure to be careful while doing it!

And, if you need any more assistance, post back in the related forum or in this topic. :)

~Kelvin

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I hope you are not looking to game with that kind of card cause it wont stand a chance in the field of gaming today.

Soorena

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Anyway, you know, Soorena, I'm using a Mobile Intel ® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family and I get 80-90 FPS while playing Counter-Strike. :)

~Kelvin

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Anyway, you know, Soorena, I'm using a Mobile Intel ® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family and I get 80-90 FPS while playing Counter-Strike. :)

~Kelvin

Lol, on what resolution?

Soorena

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts

~Kelvin

Lol, on what resolution?

Soorena

1024x768. I get 110-120 FPS on 800x600 (which I normally play - 1024x768 is too big. Need to see my desktop. xD

My notebook's desktop is 1600x1200, if you don't know. xD And, I run Vista Toolbar, TrueTransparency in the background whilst playing. Sometimes virus scans too. :)

~Kelvin

RainySky

RainySky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, my problem arise. Today I bought GeForce 5500FX 128MB from Malaysia PC Fair.When I inserted the card into the slot+monitor is connected to it,the PC can start properly,but the monitor does not display anything. I have tried to upgrade my BIOS from Revision 1002 to Revision 1003.The problem is still occur.

So,help me please. Or really the old motherboard cannot support the card with 8X?

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
As said:

From nvidia.com

Question: Will an AGP 8X graphics card work in a motherboard which only supports up to AGP 4X mode?

Answer: NVIDIA based graphic cards which support AGP 8x mode (Accelerated Graphics Port) follow the AGP 3.0 specification. The AGP 3.0 specification retains backwards compatibility with older AGP 4x technology. All NVIDIA Geforce and Quadro GPU's which support AGP 8x mode are downwards compatible with AGP 4x motherboards. When a graphics card which operates at AGP 8x mode is installed on a motherboard which only supports up to AGP 4x mode, the card will automatically switch to AGP 4x operation.

So the answer is YES, if it is a Geforce card it should work, if it doesn't, update your BIOS on your mobo.

Which means the problem isn't the graphics card or whether it is compatible or not. Try unplugging the video card, install the drivers and mobo's update, and reinsert it again.

EDIT: Anyway, hello fellow Malaysian :)

~Kelvin

Edited by Kelvin, 16 December 2007 - 08:25 AM.

RainySky

RainySky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

As said:

From nvidia.com

Question: Will an AGP 8X graphics card work in a motherboard which only supports up to AGP 4X mode?

Answer: NVIDIA based graphic cards which support AGP 8x mode (Accelerated Graphics Port) follow the AGP 3.0 specification. The AGP 3.0 specification retains backwards compatibility with older AGP 4x technology. All NVIDIA Geforce and Quadro GPU's which support AGP 8x mode are downwards compatible with AGP 4x motherboards. When a graphics card which operates at AGP 8x mode is installed on a motherboard which only supports up to AGP 4x mode, the card will automatically switch to AGP 4x operation.

So the answer is YES, if it is a Geforce card it should work, if it doesn't, update your BIOS on your mobo.

Which means the problem isn't the graphics card or whether it is compatible or not. Try unplugging the video card, install the drivers and mobo's update, and reinsert it again.

EDIT: Anyway, hello fellow Malaysian :)

~Kelvin

So,before installing the AGP driver,should i uninstall SiS Display driver? And when I insert the card to the slot,should i connect the monitor wire to it? Or just connect the monitor's wire to AGP after installing the AGP driver?

Thanks for guiding me.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
What did you use this SiS display driver for before you installed this new GFX card?

Also, when inserting the card to the slot, you should be connecting the monitor wire to the AGP. And, yes, you need to install the AGP driver first, I'd suppose.

~Kelvin

RainySky

RainySky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried out everything and i spent about 8 hours on it. I gave up now because the hardware is really incompaitable to the motherboard. I have been checked in the internet and some of them disagree that all the AGP 8x card is backward compaitable to AGP 4x slot.

I upgraded my BIOS to the latest version and did everything which may gave me the hope to try the sensation of new AGP card. Now,I have failed.

So, conclusion: Not AGP 8x card can plug into 4x slot especially for old motherboard.

Anyway,thank you for helping me along the way.I am really appreciate it.