Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help building a computer

• Please log in to reply

tHE_zEPPELIN

tHE_zEPPELIN

• Pip
  • 4 posts
First i need to know exactly how I can figure out what is in my computer without taking it apart
I bought it stock but upgraded my video card and power supply.
This is what i know about my computer

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+ 2.21 GHz
1 GB of RAM
Motherboard = stock?
NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GT
Sound= Stock
Hard Drive= How do u figure out??

What i want to get (DOES IT WORK TOGETHER?!?!)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103228)
Another GB of RAM = 2 GB
ASUS M2N-E SLI AM2 NVIDIA nForce 500 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard ( http://www.newegg.co...82E16813131096)
Keep my Video Card
Stock sound? or should i upgradE??
Keep Hard Drive??

Please help me!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello tHE_zEPPELIN...

Download and run Everest on your machine. That should give you all your hardware information.

The motherboard you've chosen has pretty good onboard audio so you shouldn't need a separate sound card and it supports your chosen processor. However, I would recommend getting a matched set of RAM and run it as dual channel rather than just adding another module...get the best RAM you can afford (I prefer Corsair or OCZ).

The M2N-E SLI AM2 will also support your video card, but if you're into gaming or heavy graphics rendering, you might consider upgrading to at least an 8600 series card with at least 256MB of memory.

I've used this board and processor on several builds and the combo has proven to be a very stable and fast platform.

wannabe1

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
The 8600 will not make much difference except for DX10 the 7600 even beats the 8600 at some tests, also all 7600s have at least 256Mb of ram. I wouldn't recommend anything lower than a 3850 for mild gaming and 8800GT or 3870 for serious gaming at high resolutions. But since you chose to keep your 7600 I would guess you don't want DX10 in that case getting a ATI 1950 or nVidia 7900 would be the better option.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 15 December 2007 - 10:23 PM.

tHE_zEPPELIN

tHE_zEPPELIN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
anything u need to know????
and so any type of memory (corsair etc.) works together if they are different brands? or do they have to have someting in common??
and so if i got everything i listed it would work fine?

Edited by tHE_zEPPELIN, 16 December 2007 - 05:20 PM.

tHE_zEPPELIN

tHE_zEPPELIN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
bump

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Yes everything will work together however I advise you to go Intel and not AMD since they have a brighter bluer future, lol. But if price is an issue then I would suggest THIS CPU over the other since it is black edition which means that everything on it is unlocked which will help you overclock. As for the memory I really STRONGLY recommend you have the same models in the mobo cause they tend to cause issues, as you know competition is tight and companies do hate each other, so be careful.

Soorena

EDIT: By the way WELCOME TO G2G!!!!!

Edited by SOORENA, 16 December 2007 - 07:35 PM.

tHE_zEPPELIN

tHE_zEPPELIN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So i can get everytthing but make sure i get the same memory (like corsair?)

And thanks for the welcome :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Yes everything will work together however I advise you to go Intel and not AMD since they have a brighter bluer future, lol.

Everyone is saying this all over the internet. It's not true. Also, it's a terrible reason to pick on processor over the other.
No government would let it happen, because then Intel would have a monopoly. The german government recently acknowledged the problem and gave AMD 354 million dollars to support them and their new FAB. Let me say this, AMD is here to stay, while Intel wants to hurt AMD, they themselves don't want AMD to go bankrupt.
At worst (it's not even a bad scenario), someone will buyout AMD. There was recently an article on it at toms hardware.
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 December 2007 - 09:37 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I don't understand why they have problems though, they were great before what happened? Intel just realease things earlier and gets credit which makes AMD look lazy and bad but I know AMD has the power to come back. I mean I prefer Green over Blue any day. Although I have blue LEDs and blue paint on my walls, lol.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There are a number of reasons.
1. AMD bought ATI on the down swing of things
2. Acquisitions cause inefficiency
3. The acquisition of ATI made a problem look worse then it actually is.
4. The erra's in their new processors
5. They always have good things on paper, not so much in real world performance

Now, to wait for the right time to invest :)
James