Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cut - Paste failed, lost data now....

• Please log in to reply

Jan Struijcken

Jan Struijcken

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried to cut and paste data (mostly jpeg files) from one computer to another computer in the network. The cutting part went oke, but when I checked the data on the other computer the data was lost, meaning, the maps were copied but without any data in it.

The data on the original computer was also lost of course because I "cut"everyhting, don't ask me why ......

I ran the programm "restoration" on the original computer but I couln't see any data, I only saw *.ch and *.ch2 files from that day, the 8-th of december. I think that will be the data ......?

Can somebody please help me finding this stuff, perhaps help me with the ch and ch2 files?

Would be great, thanks in advance,

Jan

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi jan. Welcome to GeeksToGo!

You should have run a file recovery utility on the source disk straight away, since when you 'cut' something it gets deleted after pasting it, but it still physically exists on the disk until it gets overwritten by something else. That 'something else' will probably have been provided in the form of your "restoration" process, so there's a high possibility the original files have been destroyed.

However, you can only be sure by running a fie-recovery utility on the source drive: http://www.softperfe...s/filerecovery/

If that doesn't find what you're after, you should assume the worst -- it's gone.

Edited by pip22, 15 December 2007 - 03:49 PM.

Jan Struijcken

Jan Struijcken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey Pip,

I did a file recovery and found files with .ch1 and .ch2 on that date when everything went wrong, (I also found that kind of files with the other program, but that's a detail). So I thought, let's open some ch2 files in windows viewer and guess what....., yep I could see some pictures I threw away, so that is the good news.

I all now recovered the ch1 and ch2 files, but do you perhaps have any idea how I can easily can remanage those data? I mean, there has to be some kind of structure?

Although the pictures are back, some are damaged, have any idea about that?

Greets from a cold Holland,

Jan