Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! No Desktoip Icons and Tsk Manager Disabled!

• Please log in to reply

Bizzyb24

Bizzyb24

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Someone's really doing a number on my PC. I ran both Spybot, and Adware, and found a bunch of stuff but the problems still remain. My desktop is covered by a black screen with Red letters giving A Warning of Spyware on my PC, covering my normal Desktop Wallpaper :) , I'm getting constant "system notifications" about spyware on the comp, and every now and then explorer browser (yuck) will pop up with the usual spyware ads, etc. Also these [bleep]s have someone disabled my Explorer Firewall, as it's dulled out, set to "Off" and won't let me switch it to "On". Also when I try to access my Task Manager it says it has been disabled by the Administrator and I have NEVER disabled the Task Manager. How could I get this to be undone? If anything I need my task manager in case my desktop icons disappear. I feel like such an idiot for having let this happen as Normally I'm really careful about this kinda thing. :)

I'm officially screwed....my desktop icons and taskbar are now gone (on the bright side that spyware ad that was blocking the wallpaper is also gone). So I can't go into my run command via start button to re-enable my task manager....anyone know of a way I can start Run command without start menu or task manager??

I don't know what I should do. If I restart my comp and the taskbar does not come back I won't be able to open "Run" from the start button to at least fix the task manager, and with my task manager disabled by the malware I'll be officially cut off from ANY kind of interaction with the PC. Right now all I have it ONE firefox window open with a few tabs. Other than that (and a few pop ups that keep happening) that's all I currently have access to. I really need some kind of advice here...

Can some please help me?

Also I downloaded the task manager fix tool, and ran it but the problem still persists.

Edited by Bizzyb24, 16 December 2007 - 12:22 AM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Murray

Bizzyb24

Bizzyb24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey murray, I've done all of that so far, but no one has yet to help me, so I thought I would try to get at least some kind of advice, help or suggestions from this board.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
I'm sorry Buzzyb24, but you'll need to be patient with the helpers. There are people that have been waiting for +3 days for assistance. We can offer no suggestions or advice prior your log being declared clean. If you need any more assistance after your log is clean, feel free to post in this thread. Your best move right now is to wait for a response in the malware removal forum.

Thanks for understanding,

Ax

Bizzyb24

Bizzyb24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I understand, however my log has yet to be looked at. So I'm really just waiting to see if there is anything I may have based on what HJT log file states. At least that way I could get rid of it and feel more comfortable before trying to restart or turn off my comp, otherwise I may not get another chance to take it off(assuming my taskbar and task manager are still not working)

Edited by Bizzyb24, 15 December 2007 - 10:54 PM.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Post a topic in The Waiting Room if your topic hasn't been replied to in 3 days. Though, you've just posted it today, and there seems to be a lot of topics to attend to today (look at the forum itself, and you see how many logs there has been in a 1 hour's range). Count it. And imagine. Every problem isn't that easy to solve. Also, malware experts aren't bots. They have lives to live too. So, my advice for you is to be VERY patient.

~Kelvin

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
I would suggest you leave everything as-is until you receive help from the malware removal forum. This is the extent of the advice that you will be given here until your log is cleaned. Your log has quite a few items of concern in it and may take a while to examine. Please do not try to fix anything yourself before being told to by a trained helper, as this will only lengthen the fixing process.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Ax

Bizzyb24

Bizzyb24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey guys, Great News! (sorta) I didn't realize my Spybot was not up to date, so I did a full update and Immunization. well, it turns out it found Even MORE stuff after updating everything. This time I saw stuff that read like WindowsMediaFirewallDisable and even Task Manager Disable that were located in my H_Key system files. So after finding everything, I attempt to "Fix" the the problems but the thing freezes in the middle of "fixing" the problems. Now the program is frozen and I can't end the process since I still can't get Task Manager to work. I'm thinking of just taking my chances with trying to start in safe mode and hopefully I can finish with Spybot and maybe actually resolve it that way.

Only problem is, if I restart it (safe mode or not) and nothing comes up but an empty desktop (with a disabled task manager) I'm not sure what my options would be. Any suggestions??

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello, well that's good that you found a few more things. I don't think you should run into issues with safe mode, but just be sure to post a new HJT log in your thread in the malware removal forum (if you can edit your original, please do that). If you do have problems in safe mode, you can shut your computer down manually, but only if needed. Make sure to attempt running through the self-help fixes that Murray linked you to if you can.

Bizzyb24

Bizzyb24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm now running comp in in safe mode just to be safe and I notice that Some of the things found with Spybot just keep coming back since I ran two scans in a row. Most of the HKEY stuff is now gone but the Windows TaskManager Disable one is persisent. I even went into REGEDIT to delete the value myself (per instructions found on a support site) yet the value pops right back. and yeah, my TaskManager is STILL disabled :)

Also it's the same deal with Adaware. Once I "quarantine" and "delete" the stuff it pops right back on, esp after a system restart. So obviously, some of this stuff is deep rooted and won't go away with just Spybot or Adware.

I'll post an updated HJT file in my thread on the other board.

Edited by Bizzyb24, 16 December 2007 - 05:30 AM.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) You've definitely got something persistent that needs the attention of our professionals. Let us know how it goes.