Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive issue on new installation of XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DerMann

DerMann

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Evening,

I recently had to reinstall XP, and on my previous system I had three hard drives: C:/ with XP and some programs; G:/ with games and programs; and W:/ with movies and miscellenia. I had to reformat because of a virus, and I went from XP Professional to XP Black (basically XP Professional with a bunch of themes to make it look like Vista). I installed it onto a 20GB IDE drive (very old - think Compaq persario), and it ran fine. I only ran that drive on the system for about a week or so (didn't need anything of importance off my other drives). I then hooked up the drive formerly known as G:/ (SATA 320GB, Western Digital). It was detected immediately, and I could access all of my data. Then earlier this week, I needed to get a movie from my W:/ drive (SATA 500GB, Hitachi). I switch the G:/ drive's power connector over to the W:/ drive (all the SATA connections are still there, just no power to the other drives). I boot up, the bubble pops up at the bottom of my screen initiating the install of the drive (did the same thing for my G:/ drive), and once it finishes, I go to My Computer to find that it's not there.

It shows up on my BIOS. Everything is on automatic detection. The drive is receiving power, for I can here it spin when the system starts. It does not show up in Disk Manager at all, though.

I'm going to check out the jumpers as soon as I finish this post.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

DerMann

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello DerMann,

Please read the Terms of Use:

We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.

XP Black is a pirated version of Windows XP and would classify as illegal. You will have to first install a legitimate and genuine copy of Windows XP before receiving help in these forums.

Regards,

Ax

DerMann

DerMann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just fixed it.

You can delete this thread if you'd like.