Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Disk Problem once again

• Please log in to reply

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I had a problem with my booting after booting my PC from some other hard disk. It used to show CMOS checksum error. I posted a question about it here http://www.geekstogo...em-t178601.html and got it solved. But now the error has started coming again, and is not being solved by the solution given there. PLease tell me what to do now.

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
The "CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded" means that the BIOS (the underlying system that works out what's inside the PC even before Windows starts loading) has got a bit confused.

1. Have you changed/installed any internal hardware?

First, turn on the PC and boot into BIOS.

My first suggestion would be to switch on the PC and go straight into the BIOS before it loads Windows. Then get it to auto-detect the hard disks. If it thinks that it can't find Himem.sys, it might be that the hard disk parameters in the BIOS aren't right and it's not reading the hard disk properly.

If auto-detecting the hard disks don't work, restart the PC, go back into the BIOS and select the Load Fail-Safe Defaults option (or Load Factory Defaults, whatever it's called by your motherboard) so that the BIOS switches to its most standard settings. After doing so, select Save & Exit and your computer will restart.

If this doesn't work, please post back.

~Kelvin

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
CMOS checksum error usually indicates the bios settings changed for some reason. The usual reason is that the battery is weak/ bad. Replace the battery. Usually it is a 2032 disk similar to a watch battery. Reload and save the settings, exit , and test.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm with 123Runner...
go here and read

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

The "CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded" means that the BIOS (the underlying system that works out what's inside the PC even before Windows starts loading) has got a bit confused.

1. Have you changed/installed any internal hardware?

First, turn on the PC and boot into BIOS.

My first suggestion would be to switch on the PC and go straight into the BIOS before it loads Windows. Then get it to auto-detect the hard disks. If it thinks that it can't find Himem.sys, it might be that the hard disk parameters in the BIOS aren't right and it's not reading the hard disk properly.

If auto-detecting the hard disks don't work, restart the PC, go back into the BIOS and select the Load Fail-Safe Defaults option (or Load Factory Defaults, whatever it's called by your motherboard) so that the BIOS switches to its most standard settings. After doing so, select Save & Exit and your computer will restart.

If this doesn't work, please post back.

~Kelvin

Problem started when I tried booting from an old hard disk. It didn't work

Edited by Mohit Daksh, 16 December 2007 - 10:12 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Unplug the computer from the power and carefully take out the cmos battery. Keep it out for at least 10 minutes. This will enable two things:

1: Test the battery with a voltmeter. It should show 3 volts at least.

2: By taking the battery out for some time you cause the BIOS to reset . This will ensure clearing any BIOS corruption. Upon reboot you will have to enter time and date, hopefully for the last time, and the computer will load default values.

If the battery is good, the BIOS was reset and the problem still repeats then you may have to update the BIOS. Look for instructions at the user manual of the computer or motherboard manufacturer. Please note that BIOS update is a serious operation which, if fails, can cause serious problems, even loss of motherboard.

If nothing helps then there is a problem with the motherboard.

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I tried taking out the battery for 15 minutes. But, the problem is still there.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Problem started when I tried booting from an old hard disk. It didn't work

why did you do this...was something wrong with the drive you had in there...
was the old HD from a different system...
if you can give us a complete account of what you did and why... we may be able to help you...

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
happyrck,

I booted from my old hard disk because I wanted some files from it.It was from an old system.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you checked the battery? If you can't measure the voltage replace it with a new battery or a battery taken from a problem-free computer.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

happyrck,

I booted from my old hard disk because I wanted some files from it.It was from an old system.

instead of trying to boot from the old drive you change the jumper to slave or cable select if it's a IDE drive and install it as a second drive in your computer...( connect it to the middle connector on the IDE cable)...must be a 40 pin 80 wire cable to use cable select
you will be able to copy the data you want to the OS drive

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

happyrck,

instead of trying to boot from the old drive you change the jumper to slave or cable select if it's a IDE drive and install it as a second drive in your computer...( connect it to the middle connector on the IDE cable)...must be a 40 pin 80 wire cable to use cable select
you will be able to copy the data you want to the OS drive

Thats Ok. Now what do I do for my current problem?

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Have you checked the battery? If you can't measure the voltage replace it with a new battery or a battery taken from a problem-free computer.

I'll shall go to a shop to check it soon.