Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MacBook Mail

• Please log in to reply

rogersm

rogersm

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Can anyone tell me how I can set up my MacBook Mail facility to add my hotmail account to my mail accounts. When I try to set up a hotmail account I need to know what to put in the incoming mail server field and the outgoing smtp field,
I have asked msn help for the answer, but have had no reply, can anyone help please.

Roger

Advertisements

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
As far as I know, Hotmail does not give the liberty of POP3. If I were you, move to Gmail, much better!

rogersm

rogersm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Tiroshii,
I think Hotmail must have just introduced it as I have recently had a reply from MSN and have now been able to add my email account to my Mac Book. I might check out gmail though, thanks for the advice.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Thanks Tiroshii,
I think Hotmail must have just introduced it as I have recently had a reply from MSN and have now been able to add my email account to my Mac Book. I might check out gmail though, thanks for the advice.

No problem.

In my opinion, Hotmail is a rather slow web based mail service, I have always found Gmail to be a lot faster, it is also a lot more usefull if you leave it open, as it automatically refreshes every minute or so, so you don't need to keep clicking "inbox" to get new main, as you do on Hotmail. :)

jacobt

jacobt

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
GMail works fantastic with Mac Mail. As far as I know, the only way to use Hotmail in Mac Mail is to subscribe to fancy service through MSN to get POP mail. Good luck. Jacob.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

GMail works fantastic with Mac Mail. As far as I know, the only way to use Hotmail in Mac Mail is to subscribe to fancy service through MSN to get POP mail. Good luck. Jacob.

As I thought, typical Microsoft, making ti as difficult as possible for you to use anything non-Microsoft.

Akilies

Akilies

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Welcome to a new world non believers...

http://windowslivehe...ve-hotmail.aspx

They now server pop3 and smtp over ssl and requires smtp auth.
Setup your machines...
Look to the companies which would supply the questions not people who have no clue and never attempt to obtain one.

Edited by Akilies, 22 June 2009 - 04:44 PM.