Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Device won't work

• Please log in to reply

Shaolin MiND Tricks

Shaolin MiND Tricks

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, so a while back my screen, and my sound stopped working on the computer. I was able to get the screen working again, however, my sound is still unable to produce anything.

When I go into WindowsMediaPlayer9 I get this error message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly.

So I'm really not sure what to do. I don't have any discs (except Windows98 Second Edition disc, which has been entirely worthless for me since it seems the comp can't read it), and while it shows some kind of sound card in device manager, it doesn't work.

Here's all the information I can think of about my computer that I hope can help you help me:
  • Operating System: Windows 98 Second Edition
  • DirectX 6.1a
  • CPU Type: AMD Athlon
  • Multimedia: Audio Adapter: SiS 7012 Audio Device
That's all that Everest gave me for information, if you need more, please inform me.

I'm just really trying to get my sound back, so if anyone can help me do that, it'd be very much appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Shaolin. welcome to GeeksToGo! Can you tell me if there are any red or yellow exclamation or question-marks against any item in 'device manager', particularly against any item under "Sound, video and game controllers"? And is there an "Unknown Device" listed in Device manager?

This is the correct driver for the SIS 7012 sound device: http://www.sis.com/d...nload_step1.php

However, SIS also sell their chipsets to other manufacturers who may have modified them to their own requirements, often requiring a different driver than the standard one supplied by SIS -- but it won't do any harm to try this one. It will either work or it won't, in which case we'll try to help you further.

Edited by pip22, 16 December 2007 - 01:16 PM.

Shaolin MiND Tricks

Shaolin MiND Tricks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi Shaolin. welcome to GeeksToGo! Can you tell me if there are any red or yellow exclamation or question-marks against any item in 'device manager', particularly against any item under "Sound, video and game controllers"? And is there an "Unknown Device" listed in Device manager?

Hello, and thank you.

Yes, there is some red exclamation marks and yellow question marks in front of these items:

PCI Ethernet Controller
PCI Multimedia Audio Device

Those were under the "Other Devices" category.

As for Unknown Devices, I don't see any in the device manager.

Shaolin MiND Tricks

Shaolin MiND Tricks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

...This is the correct driver for the SIS 7012 sound device: http://www.sis.com/d...nload_step1.php

However, SIS also sell their chipsets to other manufacturers who may have modified them to their own requirements, often requiring a different driver than the standard one supplied by SIS -- but it won't do any harm to try this one. It will either work or it won't, in which case we'll try to help you further.

I'm pretty sure I downloaded it correctly; but when I go to set it up it begins searching for a driver for "New Hardware: PCI Multimedia Audio Device", which doesn't seem to work as it says there are no drivers for it.

Shaolin MiND Tricks

Shaolin MiND Tricks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
...anyone?