Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Network cable is unplugged?

• Please log in to reply

sirwreck

sirwreck

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi
Here is the background of my setup

I have a home network setup
a desktop and two laptops
the desktop is wired and one of the the laptops is wireless...no issues with these ones
I have my sons laptop with a fresh XP installation and I cannot get a wired connection with it
I can plug the other laptop in (same network cable)and it works fine

I have checked in the network connection and right clicked on it and it says enabled
Checked Device Manager and no issues with the network card
I ran ipconfig and is says media disconnected
There is no switch on the laptop itself to end the connection liek the wireless one has

I am not sure what to do at this point, any suggestions

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,813 posts
So, if I understand this correctly, you are saying that your sons laptop does not recognize that it has a cable plugged into it?

If this is so and you have tried the same cable in another computer and verified that the cable is fine, then the only thing that could be wrong is the laptop's ethernet jack itself. Does it look like the pins are damaged in any way on the laptop?

If the laptop is under warranty, you can try to contact the manufacturer and see if you can get it fixed.

sirwreck

sirwreck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
You are correct with your understanding
I will check out the network jack as you have suggested
I was hoping that is was some sort of setting in needed to change or something

Thanks
I will get back on the status of the jack wren I get home from work

sirwreck

sirwreck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
the pins in the network jack look fine

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might try running the Network Setup Utility for the one laptop, then check browser to make sure it is set to use that connection or at least auto detect connections. Did you try to bring up the network connection window on the laptop and click Repair to see if it will flush and renew your connection?

Ron