Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

login log out loop - tried everything except what works...

• Please log in to reply

DrLucky

DrLucky

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello everyone.

I found this site when looking for a solution to my problem.

My computer is set to automatically log on to my profile, so, my current problem is that when I try to login, it starts, shows the background, and then logs off. After the logoff, it attempts to log back on and the process circles endlessly. I have used BART'S PE to attempt to edit :

HKEY_USERS \ MyXPHive \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

Double-click Userinit and set it's value correctly:

C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,

but that value was already set. I re-typed it anyway but still no luck.

The problem first occured after an Avast antivirus scan in the bootmode (<- not sure if that is the proper terminology)
I did a repair install with my Windows disc but to no avail. After that is when I tried the Bart's PE edit.

Any help would be great! I have access to internet via another computer and can give any computer specs if necessary.

Thanks

Dr(un)Lucky

P.S. I just finished a check disc in the repair utility of the Windows disc. It said it fixed one or more errors, but this still did not help. Also, safe mode will not work.

Edited by DrLucky, 16 December 2007 - 02:11 PM.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello DrLucky,

If checkdisk fixed some errors, you may want to repeat scans until there are no errors left. It may not catch it on the first run.

Avast may have deleted something it shouldn't have. It could be a difficult process finding exactly what is wrong. My suggestion to you is to do a clean install of Windows, rather than just the repair install. The repair install may not have put everything back where it needed to go. Let us know if you need more assistance with this or if you find a resolution outside of a clean install.

Regards,

Ax

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Let me jump in here if I may. Before doing a Clean Install, try booting to Safe Mode by pressing F8 (or F5) during the early boot time, when you usually see the manufacturers logo. Select Safe Mode then login as Administrator (no password).

Open User Accounts in Control Panel and create a new account. Pick a name you can live with as you may end up keeping it.

Shutdown and do a normal boot and see if you are allowed to chose which account to login with. If yes, pick the new one. If you can login okay then your normal account has been corrupted. I don't know how or why this happens but it does. If so, follow instructions HERE to copy your data from the old account to the new one.

If you are not allowed to chose which account when you boot, post back and we'll work on that.

DrLucky

DrLucky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Let me jump in here if I may. Before doing a Clean Install, try booting to Safe Mode by pressing F8 (or F5) during the early boot time, when you usually see the manufacturers logo. Select Safe Mode then login as Administrator (no password).

Open User Accounts in Control Panel and create a new account. Pick a name you can live with as you may end up keeping it.

Shutdown and do a normal boot and see if you are allowed to chose which account to login with. If yes, pick the new one. If you can login okay then your normal account has been corrupted. I don't know how or why this happens but it does. If so, follow instructions HERE to copy your data from the old account to the new one.

If you are not allowed to chose which account when you boot, post back and we'll work on that.

nope, safe mode doesnt work

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When you say Safe Mode doesn't work, what happens, same as when you boot normally?

Do you get to the Safe Mode selection window? If so, select "Lastk known good configuration", see if that gets you running again.

DrLucky

DrLucky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

When you say Safe Mode doesn't work, what happens, same as when you boot normally?

Do you get to the Safe Mode selection window? If so, select "Lastk known good configuration", see if that gets you running again.

sorry, I should have been more specific, but I was in a hurry (Christmas time you know)
Yes, safe mode loops

no,last known config. doesnt work either.

Edited by DrLucky, 23 December 2007 - 11:59 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can do a "manual" System Restore from the Recovery Console. See here:

http://forums.cclonl...read.php?t=1183

DrLucky

DrLucky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks. I'll do a complete system restore as a last restore, but I would REALLY like to remove the issue of the loop and not have to re-do everything...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
A System Restore does not require you to redo everything. It just moves the registry and a specific set of system files back in time to when the restore point was created. The only thing you would have to redo is install any programs that were installed after the restore point was created.

I think you are thinking of using the Recovery CD that comes with your computer.

DrLucky

DrLucky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
yes, sory, i had those confused. How do I do a recovery if i can not log on?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
See my post #7 above. The link provides directions on how to manually copy files from a System Restore point to the correct location on your hard drive.

DrLucky

DrLucky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you, I will try that and let you know how it works!

DrLucky

DrLucky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok, i tried but when I type the first step "CD\" it says that that is not a valid command...

thus i can not continue any farther.

Edited by DrLucky, 27 December 2007 - 04:45 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry about that. The instructions assume knowledge of the DOS command syntax.

Here is my updated set of instructions from that link, try it again:

Sometimes I screwed up my machine so bad, that i couldnt boot into windows anymore, not
even safe mode. So i looked around for ages and eventually found out how to do it in the
recovery console. For anyone who is new to windows, the recovery console can be found by
booting up your machine with the XP CD in the drive, and booting off of that CD. Then it
will ask you if you want to go to the recovery console, and select that option. The
recovery console is basically a MS DOS command prompt, with a little more functionality.

When you get to the recovery console, do the following (Press the Enter key after each
command):

CD \
cd system~1\_resto~1

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then enter the
following:

CD \
cd windows\system32\config
ren system system.bak
exit

Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and then you should have access.
If you still cannot get access in anyway to your installation in the recovery console then
your SAM database files are corrupt. There is no way you can restore these with the
recovery console. You may need to do a fresh install

If all is well so far, enter:

dir

This will list all the restore point folders like rp1, rp2, etc.. If the restore points
have more than one page then You have to keep on hitting the Enter key to view the last
restore point folder. You will have to choose the second to last option folder.

Example: cd rp9, if rp9 is the last restore point is rp10

Enter:

cd rpn (n=1 2 3 4 etc.)
cd snapshot

The command prompt will look like this

c:\system~1\_resto~1\rp9\snapshot

Enter:

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy _registry_machine_software C:\windows\system32\config\software
exit

Edited by Ztruker, 27 December 2007 - 07:08 PM.

DrLucky

DrLucky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
yes, I tried that, but the CD\ command isnt "access denied" its not a valid command

I will be gone for the weekend, if i can not get to a computer, then I will reply sometime Monday, thanks for the help so far!
I will be gone tomorrow...

Edited by DrLucky, 27 December 2007 - 09:55 PM.