Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DHCP problem

• Please log in to reply

jayteee

jayteee

• Pip
  • 6 posts
The IP address lease 192.168.0.5 for the Network Card with network address 0060B3379D85 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.0.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

Ok i keep getting this problem and have tried countless things to try and fix it but with no luck. I've disabled TCP/IPv6 as i've been told its not useful, i've tried /ipconfig release and renew but the problem keeps coming back. I have a netgear DG834G V2 router and use wireless internet.

I've also been told to try these commands as well:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled - doesn't work, if anything makes me lose connection even more.

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=highlyrestricted - no idea what this does and hasn't fixed the problem.

I have the latest version of firmware for my router as well.

please halp. :)

Edited by jayteee, 16 December 2007 - 02:59 PM.

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Sounds like your router might be using MAC Address Filtering (good idea). Allowing only specific MAC addresses that you enter to get an IP address from DHCP.
Have you checked the router settings for this?

jayteee

jayteee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
what am i meant to be looking for, and what should i change?

Btw i don't use macs, eww. :$

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

what am i meant to be looking for, and what should i change?

Btw i don't use macs, eww. :$

No, MAC Address Filtering does not refer to MAC computers, MAC Address is an address used to represent hardware devices on an Ethernet network.

I am not sure how you can find this MAC Addressing Filter in your router settings but you can check your manual and there might be something there.

To find what your MAC address is, you can check it by:
click Start
click Run
type "cmd" (without the quotes)
type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes)
The 12-digit Physical Address is the same as MAC address

Kamille

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
"The IP address lease 192.168.0.5 for the Network Card with network address 0060B3379D85..."

0060B3379D85 is the MAC address of the network card. I have my router set to allow certain MAC addresses to receive DHCP configuration info. There should be a section in the router configuration to set this up. What I do is follow the steps Kamille posted and get the MAC address for the machine I want to add (we already know your MAC because it's in your error message) and add that MAC address to the list of "trusted" clients. When that client starts up and asks the router for an IP address via DHCP, the router verifies that it is on the "trusted" list and issues the IP, etc. If it's not on the list, you'll get a message like the one you're seeing. FYI, if you run ipconfig/all to get the info, there will be colons ":" between each pair of numbers. 0060B3379D85 will appear as 00:60:B3:37:9D:85. You may need to leave them out when you enter them in the router as there may only be room for 12 characters in that field.

Googling around, it looks like they call it an "Access List" in your router setup.
It also looks like you separate the pairs of numbers with dashes.

Edited by 98springer, 17 December 2007 - 02:03 PM.

jayteee

jayteee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
nvm

Edited by jayteee, 19 December 2007 - 11:37 AM.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
lol brb

Does it work now?