Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Codec?

• Please log in to reply

helphelphelp

helphelphelp

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I can't play videos on eather windows media player or windows movie maker. It always says something about not having a codec...
I don't no what a codec is or were I can get one.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
A codec is a piece of software that tells a media player, such as windows media player, how to play a movie. Different codecs offer different options, such as some offer better compression and others offer better quality. Think of it as DVD vs HD-DVD.

What version of Windows Media Player do you have? Also, can you give me the exact error that you are getting?

I also meant to add that you can always give VLC a try. It has a lot of codecs built into it already and is free open source software.

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 16 December 2007 - 09:17 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Here is an article by Marc Liron, MSMVP on Windows Media Player and Codecs (specifically WMP 9 but much of the info is valid for later WMP releases as well). Ignore the ads and pitches to buy things, that's how Marc makes a living, but the article itself is very informative with some excellent links to additional information and codecs.

http://www.updatexp....a-player-9.html

I would recommend installing K-Lite Code Pack if the info that Marc provides is not sufficient for you.

helphelphelp

helphelphelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
A codec is required to play this file. To determine if this codec is available to download from the Web, click Web Help.

That's what it says.
It plays the adio fine and that VLC media player wont play it either.

EDIT: Ok I just got it working. Thanks guys

Edited by helphelphelp, 17 December 2007 - 04:26 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Would you please tell us what you did to get it working? This information might be of help to someone else.

helphelphelp

helphelphelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ok when the clip would play, It would only play the audio. I clicked the red "X" next to the track title. I went to web help, (wich I have done many times before but forsome reason it was differant this time) It gave me the option to download something saying codec found. So i downloaded and installed it. Now it works.