Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All-in-one interfering w/ SimpleDrive

• Please log in to reply

tdg119

tdg119

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I bought a SimpleDrive external hard drive recently and it's been working great - just plug it into the USB and it's good to go.

However, I also just bought an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier (HP C4280) and upon installing it, I ran into some problems - when I installed it, it corrupted my SimpleDrive. It was also referencing the "E" drive incorrectly b/c of a few folders I'd copied/moved onto the SimpleDrive.

So, I unplugged the all-in-one...rebooted...windows fixed the corrupt SimpleDrive files. SimpleDrive working.

I read up on an HP forum about the error w/ the all-in-one referencing an E: drive and it was a few simple registry keys; they were pointing to the E: drive instead of my local document folder. Fixed those; there were 3 or 4 in the below:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled the all-in-one software - fixed the reference issue.

However, now my SimpleDrive won't work again...it's not complaining about corrupt files this time; it's not listed anywhere...not showing in disk management, device manager, anywhere....I can't bring it back in the add hardware wizard...so how do I get it back??

The one problem I see is the all-in-one is showing up as a USB storage device too even though it's technically not...I don't know if it's inadvertently interfering or what...please help!! PS. There were no drivers that came w/ the SimpleDrive - it's just Plug & Play... :)

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Did you back up your registry before making changes?

Do you have another system you can test the drive on?