Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In Desperate Need of Help.

• Please log in to reply

thajoker

thajoker

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hey,

First of all, thanks for reading this post. Recently, I've updated the drivers for my network adapter because I felt that it was a smart thing to do. But it turns out I thought wrong. Ever since that install, I cannot connect to the Internet. I use a Asus P5L-MX Motherboard and the driver I use is Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter but after system restore, something even worse happened. I tried to roll back my drivers but it said the computer couldn't detect my ethernet controller anymore. I tried uninstalling all the drivers and installing them back again but the installation could not continue because no controller was detected. I am totally out of ideas and I am stuck at a dead end. Nobody I know is able to help me including a representative of my ISP. Could it be that an error occurred during installation of the new drivers like disabling my network adapter? If so, how would I enable it back again? I am very good at following instructions so I would be able to listen to whoever aids me easily but I am quite a novice at computer networking. By the way, I am using my older computer right now. The cable of my modem on the internet-less computer is connected to a wireless router with another cable connected back to the computer so that the computer is directly connected to my modem. I really need some help as life without the internet is quite painful. Thanks again to whoever comes to my rescue.

angus.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
OK can you buy a usb nic ($28.00) at staples, office depot, ect..) use the cd that comes with it -connect to the internet and try to download the drivers for your nic? once the drivers are installed your machine should see your nic, or just use the usb nic (they are very handy to have)

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
hey wolfgang and thanks for replying to my post. I am able to buy one but I want to ask one thing. Does buying a USB nic ensure that I will be 100% able to connect to the internet with a stable connection? Also, will using a USB nic have any effect on my wireless router? And finally, is there an alternate solution to this problem other than purchasing something because I assume there should be a way to fix this just by using the Internet and what I have at the moment. I want to keep buying a new nic as a last resort but I will if I have to. (It's just that recently I've already spent alot of money on my pc. new gpu, etc.) Sorry for drowning you with questions but it's only because I have no idea what is happening to my current nic right now. Thanks for your efficient response. Looking forward to your next reply.

Angus

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
It [b]may[/] be that your computer does not even se the NIC because it does not have a proper driver for the NIC . The computer may see it but not know what it is (GB NIC may no be supported in your OS) I suggested the USB nic bcause it comes with a disk and will allow you to connect to the internet (wired) (wreless USB nics are more expensive) and get the proper driver plus it is something to use if you reformat and need NIC drivers.

[b]you can download the drivers to your older machine (save to flash drive\cd\floppy\ect) and transfer to your new machine (right click the driver file, select copy, right click the desktop, select paste than double click to open the file or tell device maniger to look for the driver where you pasted it (you can select browse-desktop-file))
I make the mistake of assuming you have some experiance as you said you tried to roll back the driver If you need more detailed instruction please let me know.
Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the NIC?