Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Battery help - Packard Bell laptop

• Please log in to reply

justjohn86

justjohn86

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi. I have a refurbished MZ36-T015 Packard Bell laptop and have noticed the battery life leaves much to be desired - even on power saver mode. Lucky if I get close to an hour out of it. Just wondering whether my battery life can be lengthened without having to buy a new or if it's just because it's a refurb? If it's the latter, I have no idea about buying or installing new batteries. Are there different models and capacities available for my laptop? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The battery is probably getting near the end of it's life, and may have been used incorrectly by previous owner (eg leaving it in place when using mains power for long periods). Since laptop batteries aren't cheap, they are usually not included in a refurb. Laptop batteries are physically designed to fit specific models both in shape and the positioning of the brass contacts. The output voltage is also important. A new one should give the same output voltage as the original Packard Bell one.

Best bet is to buy online, using Google with the words 'laptop batteries' in the search box. The websites which sell them will list which makes/models of laptop each one fits. Obviously a new HP branded one is the safest bet if one is available but they will also be the most expensive.

justjohn86

justjohn86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
HP? Not Packard Bell? The only one I could find for my specific model is on the PB site and has no details, just the product name and a price. Do I have to buy that one or can I shop around as long as it fits my machine physically and has the right output?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Sorry about the confusion, my last paragraph should have said "a Packard Bell branded one" not HP. The one you found on the PB website will be fine -- don't worry that it gives no voltage details etc. since it's the genuine maker's one for your model they don't need to show those details.

It doesn't have to be a genuine PB one. A similar one from an independent third-party manufacturer will also be okay provided it's voltage and amps values are the same (printed on a sticker attached to the PB battery you already have). Third-party suppliers usually show these details in the battery description so you can check them against the original one. However, if there's not much difference in price I would personally go with the genuine PB battery.

Edited by pip22, 17 December 2007 - 04:40 AM.