Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I canīt install my printer

• Please log in to reply

mike66

mike66

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi Geeks!!!

I have justo gone throught a trojan-spy.html.smitfraud.c infection and, fortunately, I got rid of this terrible virus. I had a printer installed im my pc before the infection, but the software was removed. I tried to install it again using the "add printer" in control panel, however an error message says: "It was not possible to conclude the operation" and it doesnīt install the printer" and the printer is not installed. My HP Deskjet 820 Cxi is fully compatible with the windows XP system and a proof of this is that the printer was installed correctly before the virus. Could you please help me solve this problem?

Advertisements

mike66

mike66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Anyone avaiable to help??

PLEASE!!!

mike66

mike66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Please!!!!!

Anyone able to help????
Does anyone know about printer drivers????

PLEASE! PLEASE!!!!!

Hertzdoughnut500

Hertzdoughnut500

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I had the same problem with my Hp deskjet 3520, what I had to do was download the printer driver from the website onto a disk(if you have the disk already, you shouldn't need to do that), copy the driver from the disk to my computer somewhere(i made a file in the shared documents folder), click on the file(in the new folder), it unpacked the file.
then i had to go into install new printer in the control panel, used the manual find(not automatic), and put in the file name(ie.. C:\Documents and settings\all users\3500\enu\drivers\win2k_xp that is what I used for mine, yours might be different) and hit continue, it installed fine... printed a test page to make sure and rebooted... hopefully that would work, but i won't make any promises

mike66

mike66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Did you find a windows xp driver to your printer? I visited the hp website and I didnīt find a software compatible with windows xp to download.. How do you
install using control panel in manual way?
Thank you for your tip in advance!

Edited by mike66, 19 April 2005 - 05:39 PM.

mike66

mike66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I guess there is a problem in the print spooler. I saw a message that the spooler was not running...

Hertzdoughnut500

Hertzdoughnut500

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
yea, i use xp it took me like 2-3 hours to find but i found it(unfortunetly, i can't remember, it was almost a year ago) but hopefuly you'll get it(unless the spooler was your problem)

also, my moms printer wasn't working either, she has a hp deskjet 940c, couldn't figure anything out, deleted it and reinstalled it, nothing, then i replaced the color ink cartrige and boom it worked!

go figure...

Hertzdoughnut500

Hertzdoughnut500

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
the manual way:
Add printer, (in control panel) don't automaticly detect, use the one that says something like, "i know where the file is," and type the location in there(concidering that you found the file)

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Hi Mike,

If you have problems with XP driver go to following site.

Drivers guide

If you don't want to sign up for your own account click on members login

use the following to sign in

User name....... drivers

password......... all

once you get the warning about expiring sign in, scroll down to bottom to "click here"

Search the database, they have an XP driver listed.

mike66

mike66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
HI!!!

I guess I found my problem. I found a topic about my problem in the Microsoft website and I found out that I had a problem with my spooler. My pc ws not able to find the file spoolsv.exe in the C:\windowns\system32. I guess the virus that contaminated my pc overwrote it. Iīll try to find someone that can give me the file in order to replace it.

thanks!

mike66

mike66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi!!!

Yeap!!! After installing one os the files that were missing (spoolsv), the spooler problema is gone. However, I face another by now. The printer is installed correctly, but when I try to print something, the printer icon shows in the right corner of the screen, but it disappears immediately! And the printer doesnīt work. Any ideas of where this problem is coming from?

PS: I tried to reinstall the printer driver, to rebbot my pc, but the problem persists.

Could anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by mike66, 20 April 2005 - 12:37 PM.