Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

winodws log on help.

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hey guys... i got 2 accounts on my pc.. my account with his full admin. and a guest account which is limited to guest access..

ill be going away for a few weeks and don't want my family snooping through my account. so i added a password to it.. but when i start pc it just logs in to my account... i cant get the start up page which shows the accounts.. the password is set. iv tried the. change the way this pc logs on. tried both options there.. still doesn't work..

only time i can get it to show is when pc is loaded then i go to log off. it goes to the screen. but i need it to go the account selection screen on start up.. im using windows xp pro SP2.
hope some1 can help as i leave on Wednesday and need this sorted b4 i go.

thanks in advance and happy Christmas :)

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Password protecting your account is an excellent idea. But. If the overall ADMINISTRATOR account that is accessible from Safe Mode is not password protected, someone could just log in that way and change your account password and/or status. Protect that account with a good password as well.

Before you leave, I suggest that you Disable the 'Guest' account.
It actually takes a bit of work to get a password onto that account in XP:

If you have set a password for your own account, and want to make it display, open a Run box and type control userpasswords2
Mark the small box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." Now your log-in will simply provide a small box. You will enter both the 'Name' of your account and the chosen password to log in.

A word about "Passwords" themselves:
Don't just use something familiar like the name of a pet or loved one.
Birthdays and other significant dates are also too 'guessable.'
What you want is something that is very hard to crack, but easy to remember.
(To be safe, do write the passwords down and keep them in a secure place.)

A password structured with both numbers and letters is best.
I like stuff like: 14 + five is< 2wenty
Easy to remember--way hard to break.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
hey doc. thanks man that sorted it :) with the guest past ill just leave it on cause they don't know much about computers (family that is) so they can use my pc with guest past just to use the internet.. we got 5 computers in the house but cause mine is downstairs they always want to use mine (lazy buggers to lazy to go upstairs :))

but what you said sorted my problem. thanks man and HAPPY CHRISTMAS :)