Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Publisher 2007 website turned to gibberish

• Please log in to reply

Titania

Titania

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I had uploaded a beta version of the website to my hosting account at Mad Dog, but when I uploaded the new, fixed version, it was nothing but gibberish. Like this:

Ïࡱá����������������>��þÿ ������������a������������������µ���������m���n

���J��K��L��M��N��O��P��Q��R��S��T��U��V��W��X��Y��Z��[��\��]��^��_��`��a�
��������ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ�������������������� å—%:È å—%:È������������E�n�v�e�l�o�p�e����������������������������������������
�������������� ���ÿÿÿÿ������������������������������������þÿÿÿ���������I�n�t�e�r�n�a�l����
��������������������������������������������ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ������������������
��������������������� �������C�o�n�t�e�n�t�s�����������������������������
����������������������ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ������������������������������������o���"

²������C�o�m�p�O�b�j���������������������������������������������������
�����ÿÿÿÿ���������������������������������������^��������S�u�m�m�a�r�y�I�n
�f�o�r�m�a�t�i�o�n���������������������������(���� ���ÿÿÿÿ���������������������������������������øÍ�������D�o�c�u�m�e�n�t�S�u�
m�m�a�r�y�I�n�f�o�r�m�a�t�i�o�n�����������8��ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ���������˜�������E�s�c�h�e�
r�S�t�m������������������������������������������������ÿÿÿÿ ���ÿÿÿÿ������������������������������������e-�Po�����������

HOW can I fix this, please??? Thank you SO much!

Titania

Edited by Titania, 17 December 2007 - 06:50 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually caused because the file was uploaded as Binary instead of ASCII.
Text based files must be uploaded as ASCII and most other things as Binary.
Any decent FTP program (such as Filezilla) can tell the difference straight away and upload accordingly.

Titania

Titania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
:) Thank you, Neil. I wondered about that, but "Binary" was the default and not ASCII. *sigh* I'll try it again. I bought the domain name through Mad Dog and use their hosting.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If Mad Dog allows use of FTP, Neil's recommendation of Filezilla or a FTP app like SmartFTP will go a long way in preventing these problems as they are smart enough to tell which to use at upload.

Ron

Titania

Titania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Major Payne, thank you. Mad Dog does use FTP and I use Coffee Cup. How can I use Filezilla or Smart FTP?

I am attempting to upload the website right now. Last time, most of the pictures didn't upload and the old website didn't go away.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Well, I use SmartFTP and have for years so I'm more familiar with it. CoffeeCup is okay, but SmartFTP allows a lot more flexibility. Just set it up so it shows your local browser window and opens up your remote window when you connect to your site.

Your hosting service should have instructions for what the ftp address is. You enter that in the window and enter your PW. Default setup for SmartFTP should work just fine when you click the connect button. Don't know your hosting plan, but you should have a web pased control panel, It should have the information in there you need to set up your FTP, but I'm sure what you did with CoffeeCup will do the same for SmartFTP.

If you prefer Neil's selection, he'll have to provide info on it as I never used Filezilla. If you have problems with SmartFTP, and you shouldn't, let me know.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 17 December 2007 - 07:43 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Filezilla by default has boxes across the top that you can put an FTP address, username, password and port number (usually 21) in and it'll remember it for next time. Or you set can set up the details in Filezilla's Site Manager.

Titania

Titania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is the FTP address the one that I saved in Publisher--ftp://mywebsite.etc or the address of the FTP? I TRIED to upload it through Publisher, but apparently failed. It's STILL gibberish, in spite of switching to ASCII and re-importing the index.htm.pub files.

Do I need to re-install Front Page Extensions? The first upload was done without it, then Mad Dog's support told me to re-install it. Now it is gibberish. So I uninstalled FPE again.

Do I need to do something with the directory? Clear the remote system somehow? I am SO lost and really need this website UP. It is for my jewelry business. It isn't great, but I'll post it on "Review My Site" and prepare for an onslaught of criticism.

Thank you!

ETA: I ran Office Diagostics, since Publisher said it couldn't locate my URL and then said I didn't have enough hard disk space. It found one problem and fixed it.

Do I need FP Extensions for Publisher files, since they have the .pub extensions? I tried Front Page, but the version I have is FP2000. It's rather limited.

Or, can I copy the files and use them somewhere else with different templates?

How do I just take the whole site DOWN and start over? Do I need to create a new database? I have 25 available and have only used 2.

Ack. Thank you!

Edited by Titania, 19 December 2007 - 11:21 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Frontpage Extensions are only needed when you're publishing from Frontpage. With any luck these horrible things will be banished from the Internet forever, seeing as Microsoft is not producting Frontpage anymore.

What you need to do from Publisher is save the files as a Web Page. Then from there use a proper FTP utility (ie, not Publisher) such as SmartFTP or Filezilla to publish it and the associated files/pictures on the Internet. You don't need any databases, nor do you need Frontpage Extensions, nor do you need any templates. You just need to get Publisher to save the work as either a Web Page, a Web Document or a HTML Document, whatever terminology the program is using (for Office 2000, it was Web page. For Office XP it was a HTML Document. For Office 2003 it had turned into a Web Document).

Titania

Titania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
HOLY COW!!!!!!

Smart FTP WORKED!!!!! Major Payne, I could kiss you :) Even the FORMS worked!!! :)

I deleted a couple of files from the remote server per Neil's advice, then downloaded the SmartFTP that you so kindly provided :)

Of course, the website still sucks and I just noticed that the navigation links are missing from a page or two, but what the heck...it's UP!!!! I think I accidentally deleted the navigation bars bc they were the same color as the OLD bars and not the new. Oh well.

I have no clue HOW it worked, I just put in my website address and voila! Amazing :)

Titania

(Dancing and strewing flowers at the feet of Major Payne and Neil Jones)

Now all I need is a flash intro, like the doors of the jewelry armoire opening :)

So when I fix the missing navigation links, I just save it in Publisher and then go back to SmartFTP??

Edited by Titania, 19 December 2007 - 09:28 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
A kiss or hug would be nice, but I'll settle for the fact that everything is coming together for you and your holidays will be happier for you because of it! I can't answer the Publisher question as not familiar with it. I'm sure Neil knows.

The best of the season to you and yours.

Ron

Titania

Titania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
:) Ron, wishing you a very happy season and New Year! Alas, it is too late for Christmas orders, but WTH.

Neil, thank you so much for all your help! *smooch* Happy Festivus!! :)

BTW, I posted on the Microsoft forum and got three responses saying they'd never seen that before :) SO GLAD that I found this forum!

I HAD saved it as ftp://mywebsite.com, maybe that helped?

Titania

Edited by Titania, 20 December 2007 - 08:26 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
You can make changes as you need to in Publisher but you need to remember to save the files you change as Web pages, before you upload them with SmartFTP, otherwise you'll be back at square one again.

Happy Holidays!

Titania

Titania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Neil, thank you! But ha, ha, yesterday our new shower flooded the kitchen and soaked my laptop. So I had to get a new one. Now I have Vista and apparently have to re-load Microsoft Office 2007 in order to make any changes to the website. Bleah.

Is there any way to import files from Publisher to Expression? Is Expression better for Web design? I just got the computer back from the data transfer and still have to figure things out. So far, I don't thunk I like Vista as much as XP.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Unfortunately Publisher files are totally unique to Publisher and no other program can read them.
The only way to get anything out of a Publisher file is to save it back out from Publisher.