Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Quest

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Alright guys since my last laptop was stolen I will need a new one for next year when I go to university and since boxing day is coming I will be buying it from stores that have massive discounts like Futureshop or Bestbuy or anything alike. I would like to have:

1. Anything BUT Intel Graphics Accelerator X3100
2. 2Gb of ram
3. Core 2 Duo
4. Hard drive above 100Gb
5. DVD-RW (they all have it)
6. Graphics that can handle mild gaming
7. A resolution of at least 1440 x 900

Thats pretty much all I can think of right now. The budget is $1000 - $1100 CAD. I would prefer to have it from those stores but if any other stores have installment plans then I wouldn't mind.

Thanks in advance.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 17 December 2007 - 04:02 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Wait till friday for the local boxing day flyers to get out.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Well I saw one that was for 1099 that had nVidia 8600 2 Gb of ram 200Gb hard drive and Core 2 Duo but I can't find it anywhere it used to be on the site but not anymore :).

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 17 December 2007 - 05:19 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Just wondering, is the Intel Media Accelerator X3100 that bad? Will it be able to do my work and play a little game?

Soorena

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Purely depends on the game, of course. At least try and get something with discrete video memory.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Any suggestions on what models specifically I should be looking for? Hp, Toshiba, acer?

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
All three are the same, I'd suggest not limiting yourself to one or the other as it just makes you search that much more difficult.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I found THIS but the resolution is low. Is there a way to increase this? I mean I know that the Graphics Controller can handle more than that it is an 8600 GT.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 18 December 2007 - 09:44 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok I have found the perfect one HERE it is. Now to find it at a cheaper price :).

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
My friend actually bought that 17" HP, the key thing to realize (which he didn't at the time), this is windows vista ultimate 64bit edition.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Yea I noticed that also which is good , :). So I'm, guessing I'm not gonna find it any cheaper?

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Doubt it, my friend bought it for 1800$ in august.
James