Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Starting Problem

• Please log in to reply

BrownMike

BrownMike

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My computer has been acting up a lot lately, well one day it just rebooted but it wouldn't start back up
It would turn all the lights on and everything but nothing would startup and run. The videocard would not get any power and start spinning, the monitor would not show anything happening. I am thinking my motherboard might be shot, any ideas whats happening?
FYI the monitor and everything is all plugged in perfectly

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Are you getting any POST (Power On Self Test) beeps? What are they?

Not sure about this statement :

The videocard would not get any power and start spinning

Ron

BrownMike

BrownMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
nah not getting any beeps or startup noises that i usually get
the video card usually gets power and lights up and the fan starts spinning but it is not gettin any power even though the computer is getting power.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You may have a defective video card. Mine did this to me on another PC long ago. Replacing card with a spare until I could get then new one I wanted solved the problem. Any chance you have a spare or can borrow one? Possible try reseating or trying another slot in PC. I hope the problem stops at video card. Try cjecking power connections and checking your PSU while you're indide PC.

Ron

BrownMike

BrownMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
forgot to add that i tried to use a different card and it didnt work either and i tried different pci slots
im thinking possibly a broke down motherboard?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
That's what I was thinking, but was hoping you hadn't tried the other stuff yet. Got a spare PSU on hand or can borrow one? Have you tried resetting BIOS to default values and rebooting to see if it boots all the way?

Ron