Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Computer Build Advice needed and appreciated

• Please log in to reply

SirTootsalot

SirTootsalot

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi All,

I'm planning to build a new computer early next year and was hoping for some advice. The Rig will be solely for gaming.
Also I'm In the uk so please bear that in mind when posting links.

I'm pretty sure I want the Intel quad core Q6600 G0 SLACR CPU, Mobo wise i'm thinking Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus.

Graphics card wise i'm unsure wether to get a pair of higher end DX9 cards or to go with two DX10 cards 8600 gt/gts is about right for my budget. In the end what may decide the Graphics card could be if i choose to get vista or stick with xp.

On the storage front I'm toying with wether to use raid 0 since it will be solely for games.

Case will be Antec nine hundred or thermaltake kandalf if i can find one cheap enough.

power supply I'm pretty open on, I'm expecting 700watt or more as i don't want to run a cheapo psu on it's limit I'd rather go over a bit and let a decent one take things in it's stride.

total budget is a bit up in the air as I expect prices to change after christmas expect it to be £7-900
what I'm looking for is a shortlist to shop for after santa has been.

any thoughts or observations would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi and welcome to G2G!!!

Since you are short on budget I would advise to get a cheaper motherboard if you are not overclocking and get one good DX10 card. I will try to build something for you and will post the stuff in a couple of minutes.

Soorena

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok so far here I have:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC

nVidia GeForce 8800GT

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply

Antec 900 Case

ASUS DVD-RW with lightscribe

Western Digital Caviar 500GB 16Mb Cache SATA2 hard drive

Thats all for now let me know if you need anything changed so I will update. Please find these on a site that you will be buying from and I will do the rest of the search there.

Soorena

SirTootsalot

SirTootsalot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the prompt reply Soorena.

I should have mentioned in the original post that I intend to get some better cooling and do a moderate overclock after I've run the system for a few months. don't know if this changes your recomendations.
Probably going to use http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ as I have used them before and they are very close to cheapest i can find for processor. I've priced your recommended system there and it comes just short of my £700 lower estimate, so perhaps I could up the ram to 2x 2gb sticks. oh and thankyou for adding the optical drive I was going to take one out of my old computer but it has ide drives rather than sata.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
No problem :) I really love the site you told me its so easy to work with. Here are the links, unfortunately you must pre order your Video Card or order it from somewhere else:

Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case

£61.99

Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (WD5000AAKS) Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache

£55.99

OCZ GameXStream 700w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 700w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply

£69.99

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

£64.99

OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK) x 2

£59.98

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)

£129.99

EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

£154.99

Thermalright IFX-14 CPU Cooler (Socket AM2/LGA775)

£33.99

Scythe S-FLEX 1200RPM Ultra Quiet 120mm Fan - 3/4 pin

£10.99

Sub Total : £642.90

It is a good idea to keep your old optical drive since the mobo has one IDE slot open.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 18 December 2007 - 07:16 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi SirTootsalot! I love that name :)

I recommend you go with a new SATA optical drive, the cabling is better for airflow, they aren't very expensive, and they often are one of the first components to fail.

Looks like a nice system there so far, good work SOORENA!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
heheheh sirtootsalot...hehehhehee

that is all....continue with your regularly scheduled programming

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:) Way to go Dsenette.

SOORENA, you realize that was in euros not dollars, he really isn't on that tight of a budget.

Get this hard drive if you want quite operation.
http://www.overclock.......&subcat=940
It's Seagates newest generation of hard drives, but the main reason why I find Seagate superior to Western Digital is because Seagate has a 5 year warranty.

The Thermalright IFX-14 CPU Cooler cannot be mounted into the Antec 900 case due to the fact that there is no space for the backplate above the motherboard.
You can get this one, they are basically the same thing, but this one doesn't have the backplate.
http://www.overclock.......&subcat=821

This PSU is much better for the same price.
http://www.overclock.......123&subcat=

RAID 0 benefits in the real world are virtually none existent, I suggest getting a hard drive with a higher capacity if you want better performance, rather then getting another drive and putting it into RAID0.

James

Edited by james_8970, 18 December 2007 - 11:03 AM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Lol nice dsenette. I guess were too busy that we don't look at names, lol.

And James I was confused for a minute sorry. Also if you have any money left you can get the Kandalf case since it is bigger and better and that way I think that cooler will fit, because that cooler is one of the best right now.

Soorena

EDIT: By the way James this was that Fire Extinguisher I was talking about.

Edited by SOORENA, 18 December 2007 - 09:34 PM.

SirTootsalot

SirTootsalot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The systems looking better guys. I deciced to see what the price would be if i added the kandalf case in, but this popped up as well http://www.overclock...rodid=CA-049-TT and I then realised i'd be able to take the cooler out of the equation, of course i'd then want to get a cooling block for the graphics card but that could come later. do you think it's worth the extra guys?

Another question, am i better getting 2 x 2Gb of ram which obviously leaves two slots free for another 4Gb later or 4 x 1Gb?

The tootsalot moniker usually does get a few giggles, thanks guys.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I would go with 2GBx2.
That case is extremely overpriced, but that's your call to make. I personally wouldn't buy it as that price is outrageous.
James