Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Acting VERY strange.

• Please log in to reply

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
All sorts of problems with Windows XP SP2. Wants to autorun chkdsk at start-up but freezes up when running chkdsk and will not complete. Cannot run chkdsk once the computer boots up. Cannot use system restore. When the computer boots back up after running system restore it tells me it could not restore the settings to that restore point.Computer iIs booting up very slowly, icons take a long time to show up on the screen. System settings protector not working. I get a message after boot-up that System settings protectore is not working. Saw another topic on this in Geekstogo which reccommended uninstalling TeaTimer however when I tried to uninstall Spybot it would not uninstall. Computer does seem to run ok once I finally get it booted up. (thank goodness) I could really use some help.
Thank you,
Brad

Advertisements

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Hey sportspeddler1 and welcome to Geeks To Go! :)

Please read and follow the instructions [Here] and then post a log in the [Malware Forum].

A helper will be with you ASAP, but if it's been over 3 days without help, post a topic in the [Waiting Room]

After the helper announces you clean, and you're still having problems please return to this thread.

Good luck
~Matt :)

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Additional problem that really has me freaked out now. I tried to reboot into safe mode thinking that maybe I could run check disk from there and I was not able to boot up into safe mode. The computer just froze up.