Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Why would this happen?

• Please log in to reply

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I just built my new computer and it will not boot. Everything is in it's proper place and everything has power. The motherboard has a blue LED that turns on, that it it. No fans spin, nothing powers on, the Power Supply doesn't even boot up. Why would the motherboard display a light when the Power Supply isn't even running?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I would double check your front panel hook-ups, especcially the power switch.

This can occur when the MOBO is directly screwed to the mobo tray without using stand-offs.

The mobo LED will always illuminate as long as it is recieving some sort of power from the PSU. Your system is never really off unless it is switched off via the PSU switch in the back.

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I've already made sure those connections were properly made, and I have even used assorted orientations in attempt to fix it, and the Antec 900 came with 9 spacers, so the motherboard is properly mounted.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I believe your mobo could be DOA. I have had my mobo die 3 times on me and that is exactly what happened. By the way once before someone had too many screws on the mobo and it was causing problems, try removing the middle ones that you don't need.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 18 December 2007 - 06:50 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Removing the middle screws will not fix this problem.

Remove the RAM and hard drive to see if it'll boot into BIOS. If not, take the motherboard out and lay it on card board and try and boot it, see if you can get anything. This will rule out a short.
James

turn 5

turn 5

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Can't give any better advise than what James has already posted. :)

Although you should post your system specs.

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Here's an update: I used the power supply (Silverstone 500W) to power my old system as a test, and it powered up my graphics card, however the PSU only came with an 8pin connector for the motherboard so I couldn't fit it into the 4pin on my old motherboard due to space constraints, for example: the fan plugin for the heatsink was blocking the extra 4 pins. Still, the PSU managed to power at least the graphics card (XFX 7900GS) because the fan began to spin. I used a meter to measure voltage and the PSU was returning identical voltages for each connector, so the PSU works. I then took my old P4 2.8GHz processor and tested it on the new motherboard (XFX 680i) and the computer did not boot, no fans spun. At this time, the only things in use in are the PSU, CPU, Motherboard, RAM. So, the problem seems to be a dead motherboard, am I correct?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Have you tried putting the memory in a different slot to see if it posts? If not then I would suggest looking closely, if the CPU fan and PSU start for 1 sec and die then it is definitely a dead mobo. Try testing this system on a piece of card board like James suggested and see if that works.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Here's an update: I used the power supply (Silverstone 500W) to power my old system as a test, and it powered up my graphics card, however the PSU only came with an 8pin connector for the motherboard so I couldn't fit it into the 4pin on my old motherboard due to space constraints, for example: the fan plugin for the heatsink was blocking the extra 4 pins. Still, the PSU managed to power at least the graphics card (XFX 7900GS) because the fan began to spin. I used a meter to measure voltage and the PSU was returning identical voltages for each connector, so the PSU works. I then took my old P4 2.8GHz processor and tested it on the new motherboard (XFX 680i) and the computer did not boot, no fans spun. At this time, the only things in use in are the PSU, CPU, Motherboard, RAM. So, the problem seems to be a dead motherboard, am I correct?

I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet.
That 8pin connector can be split into two, take a close look and please do this.
If you're still having issues, I'd suggest placing your motherboard on a piece of cardboard to rule out a short.
James

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes but what I'm saying is that the 8pin didn't fit on my OLD motherboard, but it still was able to power the graphics card with just the 24pin connector, while the same PSU running my new XFX 680i and the 8pin connector plugged in now, wouldnt boot.

Edited by gambLe1109, 19 December 2007 - 01:50 AM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Can you please try the things we suggested and report back so be can be sure that the Mobo is dead or alive?

Soorena

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I just tested the motherboard on a piece of cardboard and it did not boot up. I tried removing the RAM as well with the same result.

Edited by gambLe1109, 19 December 2007 - 01:52 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Double check that all the connectors are in the right places, a popular mistake is the power button cable on the motherboard being placed in backwards.
If everything is set up right then I'd consider it time to send the board in for a new one.
James