Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply

duffo

duffo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an Linksys WRK54G connected to a port on a LinksyBEFSR41. My modem is in the basement where all my CAT5's terminate. If I use the WRK54G down there the signal ain't so very good upstairs. I have one PC wired to the WRK.(upstairs) Another couple of PC's are wired to the BEFSR41. I can't figure out how to configure the WRK54G. I feel that since it is connected to a port in the BEFSR41, I'll cause a problem with the config. of the BEFSR41. I've tried to config. it from the PC that is connected to it (the wireless)but, it comes up with the wrong IP address and I don't know how to change it....in fact when I run the cmd prompt and enter "ipconfig/all, the wireless never even shows up. What the.....?

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,813 posts
Basically what you are doing here is ok. All you should have to do is set the wrk54g to accept dhcp on the wan port, assuming that you are handing out dhcp addresses via the befsr41. Then setup the wrk54g to hand out dhcp addresses to wireless clients and you should be good to go. I've ran this setup for a long time and I had no problems. The way that you will know the wrk54g is working with your befsr41 is when you get a 192.168.*.* address on the wan port on the wrk54g.

Hope this helps.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
The default IP for most Linksys Is 192.168.1.1 with an IP pool of fifty addresses. Router One leave at default, set the second router to a different IP like 192.168.10.1 and use the same fifty IP pool (starting at 192.168.10.100). This will avoid IP conflicts in the two appliances. Linksys will generally assign the IP pool automagically with the right LAN prefix.