Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Q6600 w/ Crysis

• Please log in to reply

lpchris85

lpchris85

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I just upgraded my machine recently w/ a q6600 quad. I had seen some developer interviews w/ Crytec explaining how multi-thread processors would help benefit gaming, especially with Crysis. So i am currently playing Crysis in a windowed format so i can check my Vista sidebar, I have a gadget that shows the activity of each core and my RAM use.
So far when i play Crysis one of the cores will stay at or around 96% or so, while the other three cores bump between 4-9% load. I would figure that since Crysis was designed to be "multi-threaded", that it would atleast try and make use of the three other cores. My question is: is this normal? or is there something i need to tweak setting wise? Has anybody had experience with this type of issue?

my new build:
q6600 quad
2GB 800mhz ram
EVGA 8800GTS 320mb
320gb sata HDD

thanks all! :)

Advertisements

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
After further research (in other words a google search :) ) It seems that most of the Crysis playing community has accepted that the game does not use all 4 cores like Crytec promised. The rumor that I keep reading is that the next planned patch for Crysis is designed to enable quad core support. The other nasty rumor is that quad core support for the game will only be an option for 64 bit OS users.
I found some neat tweaks to help run Crysis better (especially for those of us that cant afford an 8800GTX!)

http://www.crysis-on...ic,14825.0.html

this download doesnt hurt your PC i promise. It really does make the games lighting that much better and it is optimised so that even an older Nvidia 7300LE can run it on high. enjoy! I've uploaded an attackment image of the mod at work running in windowed format.

Attached Thumbnails

• desktop.jpg

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Thats odd. Why is it only using 1 core. Maybe because it is in windowed mode. From what I heard Crysis does not really support quad core fully (2 cores for the game and 2 cores for the OS). But you are showing only one core.

Also about the patch, I believe James told me this, it is highly unlikely that a patch would fix the "no quad core support" problem because it would be too hard to do.

But you should be getting at least two of the cores to run even with the 32 bit OS. You could try researching to see if everything is 64 bit supported and upgrade. I believe almost everything on my rig that I am upgrading to will support 64 bit and I may give it a try.

Lets see if James will drop by and give his thoughts on the matter.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I can see the argument behind the 64 bit support, but I would be worried about how many of my applications would still run. I'll try doing more research until I make my decision, I would like to stick around and see what James thinks first as well.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Yeah see what he thinks. Only reason I suggested it is because only one core is being used instead of at least 2.

Edited by jackflash1991, 18 December 2007 - 07:19 PM.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
another interesting development (i dont give up that easy lol). you had said that it was strange that Crysis wasnt making use of atleast two of my cores. i found the benchmark file and ran it, only to find that Crysis used ALL 4 of my cores for the benchmark, giving my PC a great increase in performance at what seems the VERY HIGH setting for dx10, something unattainable with regular play.

Attached Thumbnails

• desktop2.jpg

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There have been many debates regarding this and at this point I'm not exactly sure myself as I do not have a quad core to fool around with.
At this time I'm edging to the fact that this game can indeed use all four cores. The reason?
I have a dual core CPU, and it'll use both cores to their full potential, but on a quad core CPU we do not see this. This leads me to the conclusion that while Crysis is quad core optimized, though the game doesn't need all the CPU resources available to it and the game is severely bottlenecked by the GPU.

I have also seen computer were there is very little activity one 2 cores, but the other two cores are getting all the work. What this would imply is that Crysis is dual core optimized, and the OS is being offloaded onto the inactive CPU cores.

Again, these are only my impressions at this time. Once I get a quad core CPU, I might do a little fool around to look closer into this issue. Also, as you have shown us, the benchmarks are not really a good way to determine this question, you need to play in game to achieve accurate results. Till I myself get a quad core CPU, I'm not going to draw any final conclusions regarding this issue as there is a way to much conflicting evidence.
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 December 2007 - 11:10 AM.