Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell RT7D40 keyboard not working

• Please log in to reply

kthxrawr

kthxrawr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I took my Dell Dimension 5150C home for the holidays and accidentally left the wireless receiver at college. Over the weekend, I've been using a Logitech wireless mouse receiver and a USB keyboard. I've got the Dell receiver back now, and while the mouse works fine with it, the keyboard isn't responding.
I've restarted, tried a system restore, changed the batteries, pressed the connection buttons multiple times - the lights on the receiver turn on when the keyboard connection button is pressed, but nothing else happens - tried them with another computer - again, mouse works, keyboard doesn't. I've tried updating the drivers, but all these does is let me adjust the volume using the keyboard. Nothing else works.
any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

tried them with another computer - again, mouse works, keyboard doesn't.

suggests a dead keyboard to me....if nothing changes when you hook it up to another machine...then it's not your computer...it's probably the equipment

kthxrawr

kthxrawr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
even if one of the keyboard functions is working?

looks like I'll need a new keyboard then after all. thanks though!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's still possibly defunct....if the keyboard had connected properly and worked completely once you hooked it to another computer then i'd be less likely to suspect the keyboard itself...

mbcpa

mbcpa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am not a techie, but I think I have the answer. The Dell RT7D40 keyboard does not like Logitech software. If you uninstall Logitech software, yes, even the mouse s/w, the keyboard will start working like normal again..............at least it did for me!