Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 Professional

• Please log in to reply

Gene1

Gene1

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I downloaded acrobat 7.0 and saved it to my disk. It called for an associational file when I tried to open it. Since it ended with exe that is the extension I used. Now I can not open any exe program like aol, int exp etc. I get an error message that says" Access to specified device, path or file is denied. I was able to get my txt files to work by changing the file type FT000002 extension to pdf. I also have a file type FT000001 that I can not change. I can get into my programs by using my favorites. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Don't have my 2000 machine with me this weekend, so can't offer details, but you need to restore the default file associations. go to tools/folder options/file types and see if you can udo the change you made. I'll look for specifics on Tuesday when I get back to the office if you haven't fixed it by then.

Gene1

Gene1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have not been able to resolve this situation. I reset all of my defaults and it hasn't helped.

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Go to regedit (start/run/regedit) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe . Check to see if the default value for the .exe extensions is exefile.

Gene1

Gene1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It carried me to the OPEN WITH box. Which program do I need to open the REGEDIT file. I really appreciate your help.

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Go to Start/Run type regedit and click OK. You'll see what kind of looks like the explorer window. JUST LOOK! If you have no experience with the registry, you could permantly disable your machine by changing or deleting any values you find there. Try to navigate to the value I mentioned before and see what it says. Don't take any actions unless you've first backed up the registry, which is a complicated task in 2000.

Gene1

Gene1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It still goes to the OPEN WITH box. I have been able to click on some .doc files and change them to Word doc. and a few others but nothing with exe. I have locate the FT00001 files should I just try to rename them for now and see what happens? I don't think that I should delete them because they have data in them.

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Your Start button brings up the Open With box?

Don't delete those files yet. I'm still trying to understand what has gone on here.

Gene1

Gene1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, When the computer said to create an associational file; I used exe for the extension and clicked on ok. The computer assigned all of my exe extensions to FT00001. I guess this stands for file type 00001. I tried downloading the Adobe 7.0 reader program again and the computer assigned pdf files to FT00002. I reassigned my .pdf extensions to open with Adobe 6.0 so the pdf file extensions are ok. As I recognize the extensions I reassign them to the right program and this is the only way that I am recovering my files but I have got a long way to go. I have tried everything that I know. I haven't found anyone in my church or among my friends that can help with the mess that I have gotten in to.

After I typed in regedit and clicked on the ok button it brouht up the OPEN With Box where you select a program that you want to open regedit. I tried all of them in the list and nothing was legible or looked like what you described. If I click on an icon that has a corner of the page bent on it with a windows flag the computer shows the OPEN WITH BOX again.

I hope this info helps you resolve this and thank you for your help.

Edited by Gene1, 28 April 2005 - 11:02 PM.

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
This is not something I have tried, but it sounds as if it might work. Your registry has lost the associations needed for the files, especially the .exe association. The link below goes to a site to download a registry repair utility. It appears to be legit and well recommended.

https://www.pctools....istry-mechanic/

***If anyone else reading has experience with this utility or with repairing the .exe extesnion association, please feel free to chime in.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might try going through these methods listed here :

How to reassociate File Types

and see :

Micro$oft Support - Can't Open EXE files

As far as registry Mechanic, it does a nice scan, tells you what's wrong, but will only fix limited problems unless you buy the software. I get better results from free software.

You may have to go through and reregister some DLL files, too.

Here's a good place to go for Registry Tips :

Registry Tips

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks Major. I appreciate the contri. Learned something today from the links you provided. Hope this helps Gene1 too.

Gene1

Gene1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the info Major and Rush. Sure hope this helps. I will let ya'll know.

Gene1

Gene1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey Rush and Major, I resolved my computer problem. I wish that I had thought about it earlier. I called my daughter and asked her to look at the properties of one of her programs on her desk top and tell me what program opened it. It was application. I then deleted file type F000001 and replaced it with application. This resolved all my problems. I hope this may help someone else and thank ya'll for your interest in my problem.

God Bless

Gene1

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Glad you got your problem fixed, Gene1. Thank you for posting back as I'm sure others will benefit from your post.

Sometimes we think a problem is more complicated than it is. I never thought to suggest this. Just hope one of my two brains will retain this information for future use. :tazz:

Ron