Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't reinstall a program.

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

At work, I loaded a program on a new vista machine and, even with the program compatibility wizard, was unable to get the program to load. We played with it off and on for a few days, but then gave up, marked in on our list of programs that don't work with Vista, made a note to contact the vendor, and moved on.

On the following day, another guy from IT played with it for a while and got it to install on another vista machine. He sent me his fix (make certain mods to the shortcut placed on the desktop) but I had already uninstalled the program.

Easy enough, I'll just reinstall and modify the icon like he said.

Now, of course, I can't reinstall the program. Vista pops up with - -5006 : 0x80070003 Finish Any Previous Setup.

We scanned through the registry for any entries of this program and found only two. We deleted both of those entries but it still says I need to finish the previous setup.

Anyone know how to correct this issue?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Check the parent folder of the game in C:\Programs has gone. Delete if it hasn't.

Now download and run 'Ccleaner' with all the 'Windows' and 'Applications' options ticked in 'Cleaner' section.

Reboot so that any files in currently use can be cleaned by Ccleaner.

Try install game again.

Get 'Ccleaner' here: Check the parent folder of the game in C:\Programs has gone. Delete if it hasn't.

Now download and run 'Ccleaner' with all the 'Windows' and 'Applications' options ticked in 'Cleaner' section.

Reboot so that any files in currently use can be cleaned by Ccleaner.

Try install game again.

Get 'Ccleaner' here: http://www.filehippo...4aadb/download/

Link is to a direct download.

Edited by pip22, 19 December 2007 - 12:40 AM.